PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of starting Aikido

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

ChuckP
04-06-2009, 04:10 PM
What are some of the things to expect in the beginning? Also anyone from Bucks county Aikido here?

MentalError
04-06-2009, 05:08 PM
The thing that really suprised me was the pain in the joints when I first started. It's mostly from doing bad ukemi. I'm still a newbie and that was from my personal experience. So I am pretty sure I am "qualify" to tell you this. :D

JRY
04-06-2009, 06:41 PM
its normal to be stiff when you just start out when someone puts a technique on you. eventually u learn to let go and go with the flow :)

It will seem like information overload and you've got 2 left feet when u just start. you can take it slow and learn where to put your hands and where to put your feet. pay close attention to what the sensei is doing and just follow the senior students.

don't forget to breathe when receiving technique and most importantly have fun!

There is no secret in Aikido, just training and more training :)

hope this helps

mathewjgano
04-06-2009, 07:08 PM
The thing that really suprised me was the pain in the joints when I first started. It's mostly from doing bad ukemi. I'm still a newbie and that was from my personal experience. So I am pretty sure I am "qualify" to tell you this. :D

That's a good one! I always get more bumps and bruises the more I let myself get rusty...which I'm particularly good at. I notice when I practice a lot of koho tento (a kind of rocking exercise on your back) and rolls from a sitting position, I do better at being round enough to roll comfortably; consistently.
P.S. Nice post, Jerry!

wideawakedreamer
04-06-2009, 09:11 PM

My experience was different: Didn't have joint pain, but I had trouble getting out of bed for a couple of days because my ab muscles were aching. This was due to a lot of forward and back rolls on my first class.

crbateman
04-07-2009, 07:35 AM
Just try to be a little better today than you were yesterday.

Dieter Haffner
04-07-2009, 07:56 AM
Just try to be a little better today than you were yesterday.
But don't worry when you were a little better yesterday then you are today.
Because that will happen as well.

Bob Blackburn
04-07-2009, 08:07 AM
What are some of the things to expect in the beginning? Also anyone from Bucks county Aikido here?

I train at BCA. :)

The first few classes someone will help you out with learning rolls. And for the techniques, you will only take falls you can handle.

Techniques are taught more through demonstration then verbal explanation. This is a traditional Japanese approach. Senior student in the pair will perform the technique first so you can see it again and feel it.

Churchill92
04-07-2009, 10:07 AM

learn how to fall properly. Once you master that the rest comes with time.

Don't be afraid to have 2 left feet. You'll suffer the information overload, be willing to ask questions and try to understand what is going on.

Overall, it's allot to take in in your first few times but don't give up, after a month of it you'll be rolling better, your hands will come up naturally, and you'll begin to understand the basics.

Patience grasshopper, those of us with Type A personality perfectionists struggle with this stuff but it comes with time.
:D

ChuckP
04-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Thanks for all the replies, hey Bob is everyone at BCA cool people?

Bob Blackburn
04-07-2009, 11:43 AM
Thanks for all the replies, hey Bob is everyone at BCA cool people?

Of course. :)

I enjoy the dedication of Sensei and the students. There is also occasional social events to get to know everyone better off the mat.

Ron Tisdale
04-07-2009, 12:24 PM
Not a member, but I've trained there a few times and really enjoyed myself. I have a LOT of respect for the instructor there. You should have a good time!
I should have a review of the seminars I went to around here somewhere...maybe in my aikiblog.
Best,
Ron

ChuckP
04-20-2009, 08:34 PM
Hey Bob
What is the average length you have to wait before Buck County Aikido starts their beginners class?