PDA

View Full Version : Hello all, and a few questions as well.

Please visit our sponsor:

Jason Blake
03-16-2009, 10:58 PM
Hello all. Im pretty new to this website but ive been reasearching Aikido for about a year now. Im a U.S. Marine currently deployed to Iraq and I am very interested in studying Shodokan Aikido. The problem is that i cant not seem to find a place close enough to Cherry Point, N.C.. There is a place that offers Iaido ( which im also very interested in ) as well as Aiki-jujitsu. I was thinking taking those to classes instead.

My question is, will training in Aiki-jujitsu/Iaido be a good starting point? or will it somehow interfere with Aikido training later on?

Eva Antonia
03-17-2009, 10:18 AM
Hi,

I am not familiar with aiki-jiujitsu or iaido myself, but my teacher comes from an aiki-jutsu school, and for us, the students, that is rather an added value - he always can show us both approaches...

Best regards,

Eva

Bob Blackburn
03-17-2009, 10:53 AM
I think the benefits out weight the downside of adjusting to a new style. I have trained and taught in different styles and recently started Aikido again. Some things have to be adjusted like footwork; but, timing, moving center and basic martial principles will apply to all arts.

Marc Abrams
03-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Jason:

I would focus less on the style and more on the teacher. Ushiro Sensei said "It is better to spend three years searching for an excellent teacher rather than spend three years studying with a bad teacher."

Good Luck!

Marc Abrams

Jason Blake
03-17-2009, 05:45 PM
Thank you all for the replys. Im looking foreward to starting the training. I think it will be a positive start until i cant start traing in Aikido.

Russell Davis
03-19-2009, 07:07 PM
Hi Marine, met some of your guys on a BIG U.S. boat, around 88/9
almost as crazy as me, back then I was breifly with UK spec ops.
Aikido is a great subject to learn, but it takes TIME, You might want to think about Kali/Escrima for knife work in the shorter term, which in turn will benefit your Aikido in the longer term.
Stay Safe
Russell Davis