PDA

View Full Version : What am I learning,when I learn Aikido?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

luchovelasco
02-27-2009, 09:16 AM
Just almost two years ago,I began learning AIKIDO first step in a very conventional DOJO,three month later I decided to let that beautiful place ,something inside me makes me feel that place as an extraneous place.
Was the precisely moment when a Shodan and two 2° Kyu decided separate themselves from their master,in that Dojo,same I was leaving .

So I began my way with Aikido in a very close and minimal Dojo,with this three big brothers,and a 2°,a 4° and 6°Kyu else,this 6 are a from a year ago my Aikido world.(I must say in this point that I came from a search before learning Tai Chi Chuan,Kung Fu,Tae Kwon Do,Karate Do,Ju Do,from my 8 years I am 59 now.)
Every step in Aikido,now I feel I arrive a new world into my world,every movement,means thousands of little invisible moves, wich learns me a new way of understand all around me,I mean relationships,relaxing,physical attention,a pleasure of making,when I began I was wanting a new Martial art but now I am finding a lot more all included,nothing escapes,nothing now is outside.
All what I do for living is in this AIKIDO.
So I repeat my question ...What am I learning ,when I learn AIKIDO?

dps
02-27-2009, 09:31 AM
What am I learning ,when I learn AIKIDO?

You are learning about yourself, your capabilities and limitations. You are learning how your body works, what you think you are and what you really are. You are learning how to connect your mind and body to work together in ( oh no the 'h' word) harmony.

David

Abasan
03-01-2009, 01:10 AM
The value of your life and your opponents and that we are all a part of the universe.

SeiserL
03-01-2009, 06:41 AM
IMHO, Aikido is a tool for learning, not the content.

What question are your asking when your train?

What do you want to learn?

The only one who can answer what you are learning is you.

George S. Ledyard
03-01-2009, 12:33 PM
Lynn has it right... what you learn depends on how you direct your training. The answers to many questions can be had through training but if you don't ask the questions in the first place, you'll miss the answers when they present themselves.

I remember, many years ago, a guy wrote a letter to Black Belt magazine saying, "I am sick and tired of all this talk about the spiritual side of the martial arts... I have been doing, martial arts for 20 years and never got anything spiritual out of it." I think that is actually an amazing achievement but possible... it's clear you get out what you put on.

Buck
03-02-2009, 11:59 PM
As your body moves so does your mind.

I really think the body teaches the mind, or influences the mind, or impresses upon the mind. If a person learns the moves and techniques of Aikido intensely and seriously, that person sees the world accordingly and interprets its spirituality accordingly. The way your body moves in Aikido say in big movements and circles you will see the world around you as a world of large profound stuff that works in circles. That everything works in cycles. You see the grand way of life.

SeiserL
03-03-2009, 09:23 AM
And as the mind moves, so does the body.
Body and mind unification.

Mark Freeman
03-04-2009, 10:04 AM
"As your body moves so does your mind"

"And as your mind moves so does the body"

What have I learnt from Aikido? that both of the above statements are true, however, it takes a lot of practice of the first to get to the second.:)

regards,

Mark

SeiserL
03-05-2009, 12:04 PM
"As your body moves so does your mind" "And as your mind moves so does the body" What have I learnt from Aikido? that both of the above statements are true, however, it takes a lot of practice of the first to get to the second.:)
IMHO, the craft is moving the body first. The art is moving the mind first. The goal is to move them both simultaneously.

That's what I have learned so far. But, give me more time and I will probably see it differently.