PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with Lack of Spirit

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Kevin Beyer
02-22-2002, 11:35 AM
I'm new to this thread thing so bear with me.

My question is this: How do you deal with someone who doesn't get the true spirit of Aikido? To try and simplify a little...how do you deal with someone who is getting the technical part of Aikido, but in all reality they don't have the true spirit, love, or respect of what Aikido really is? I have seen this happen in a number of cases and I'm curious on how other Aikidoists deal with them.

Andy
02-22-2002, 11:56 AM
Keep training.

shihonage
02-22-2002, 12:25 PM
Well, it's simple.

You come up to them and explain, that this and that, they don't get the true spirit of love, and you have a problem with it.

Then you tell them that they better get that true spirit love and Aikido fast, before you get real pissed.

Greg Jennings
02-22-2002, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Kevin Beyer

My question is this: How do you deal with someone who doesn't get the true spirit of Aikido? [snip]

The True Spirit Of Aikido. Damn, I've been searching for it all these years and all the time you've had it!

Sincerely,

Brian Vickery
02-22-2002, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Kevin Beyer

My question is this: How do you deal with someone who doesn't get the true spirit of Aikido? .

Hi Kevin!

...just ignore them ...they'll quit before too long, so it's not worth you worrying about!

Regards,

Dean H.
02-22-2002, 08:10 PM
1)Remind him / her to relax - it is not a sportive competition.
2)Make sure he / she never hurts nor disrespects anyone.
3)Discuss the matter with your sensei.
4)Consider being a stiff uke or showing reversals / attacking openings if the offender is a big-time jerk.

Peace,
Dean
:triangle: :circle: :square:

Orihime
02-23-2002, 04:33 AM
I think the right Aikido spirit is not easy to get, especially by beginners (like me). But respect IS essential.