PDA

View Full Version : Internal Experience in BJJ tonight

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Kevin Leavitt
11-23-2008, 08:59 PM
So today I had a very interesting experience.

Kazeka Muniz flew into town from California (a World Renowned BJJ Black belt) and we did a small little class. Guy is amazing, but that is a different story.

Anyway, Ryan Hall shows up to train with us every now and then, but I always miss him. If you guys don't know who he is, it is a young guy that is one of the up and coming stars of the art here on the east coast.

After class I pull Ryan aside and ask him to help me with my Guard. I am having issues with the Brown Belts breaking me down constantly and then submitting me. The tough part for me is keeping them from breaking my posture down.

Ryan puts me in his guard and then tells me to pass. Right away he stops and says "now remove your hands and sit back". He then breaks me down by coiling his core.

He gets me up, and says "I can fix that right now...no problem".

He gets in my guard and he shows me how I am doing it, then he drops his core and center down to the floor and I cannot move him. He just sits there relaxed, all internal like...feeling like a big pile of bricks. When he tensed up, I could move him no problem. Ryan weighs all of about 165 lbs.

It was amazing to me. Anyway, same feel I get when working with good internal guys.

We proceed to work on this for a few minutes combining it with a few other things that are very internal and a few things dealing with proprioception that the internal stuff allows you to take advantage of.

Needless to say, I get it now!

Went over to roll with the same Brown Belts that normally give me a hard time, and when I dropped my center down and relaxed with correct posture, things got much better and I essentially could feel myself becoming unmoveable!

Anyway, thought I'd share this little internal moment with you guys, as I have been trying to integrate some of this in my BJJ game, and it is interesting to see guys like Ryan have these abilities intuitively...not sure he even knows that it is internal stuff!

After working with Toby Threadgill Sensei last week, that is with someone that has a good concept of the appropriate use and timing of jiujitsu (translated: Good Jiujitsu) combined with his internal skills really drove home the concept of the importance of good technical skills, use of proprioception, timing, and body development (Internal, Core...whatever you want to call it).

Combining all of it together is a challenge as you need to have all three parts, Technical Skill, Timing/Proprioception, and the Ability (Core) to work together.

Working with two world class BJJers tonight also reinforced this tonight.

Okay, thanks for the bandwidth. I really have to spend more time training...that is apparent.

Bob Blackburn
11-24-2008, 08:03 AM
It is always good to train with great martial artists no matter what style.

Roy Dean
11-24-2008, 01:29 PM
Very cool! Ryan Hall is one of the brightest stars in BJJ.

I do think that good training does result in some level of "internal" skills, even though it's not discussed. Intention, confidence, and relaxation all play a part in magnifying weight and rooting to the earth.