PDA

View Full Version : New to tbe Forum and Aikido

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

coyotekin
11-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Hello all,

Well, I am not completely new to Aikido at least in the sense that I have been reading just about everything I can get my hands on about it. Mind you, I am still new as after all of these years I am finally able to practice Aikido as a dojo is closer than 2 hours away.

That may sound odd to some of you, but I am in the Air Force and tend to move around about every 2-3 years, and each base has not put me close to a dojo. And believe me, I have checked, with the Dojo search being the main thing I use on here.

And yes, I have been a lurker for years, but I never felt right participating as I didn't think I should until I actually was part of it. (Yeah, I am silly that way.)

On two points, I have ADHD, ( a recent discovery, but long time curse/blessing), and I have microfractures in the shins which keep me away from high-impact activities. Yep, running is out. So I am definitely interested in speaking to others in similar situations as me that have found ways to adapt, overcome, and excel.

Thanks all,

Robert Bickford (USAF, Ramstein AB, Germany)

Voitokas
11-12-2008, 05:11 PM
Welcome! Glad that you are finally stationed near a dojo and can get on a mat... Sucks about the microfractures; I guess the only thing you have to watch for in aikido is high falls? For a couple of years, anyway, until the osteoblasts in your leg bones finish fixing all the damage. So no parachuting until then, alright? :)

coyotekin
11-13-2008, 01:36 AM
Yeah, gotta love military doctors. :yuck: They discovered the issue after I told them for over 8 years. Oh well. I won't let it stop me from doing what I love. And doing the TKD for a year didn't seem to bother it much, if at all.

I am just glad to get the chance to start my 10+ year path towards understanding the basics. I'll go from there once I get to that point. Who knows, maybe I will get to stay here as a contractor and study under the same Sensei.