PDA

View Full Version : Training in Japan

Please visit our sponsor:

Ken Millstone
02-10-2002, 09:11 PM
Hi All--

First of all I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a senior in college in Philadelphia. I had been interested for a while in taking up a martial art and then became very close to someone who had done Aikido for six or seven years out in Montana and I started practicing with the (Ki Society affiliated) Aikido club here at school in September. So, hi!

Now the question. There is a good chance that I will be moving to Japan next year for 1-3 years. I have applied to a program that pays pretty well for recent college graduates to teach English to elementary school aged children. I don't know for sure that I will go, and if I do I don't know where I will be placed. I also don't know any Japanese, though I intend to learn if I go (I'm pretty good at languages). So: has anybody trained at dojos in Japan. Are there any that instruct in English, or have special classes for English speakers? Are there any particularly good ones? I hope these questions don't sound ignorant. I'm still fairly new, though I have learned a lot about Aikdio since September (recently tested for 5th kyu!). I'm just trying to get a general feeling for what the possibilites would be if I do go to Japan.

Thanks,
Ken

PeterR
02-11-2002, 07:28 AM
Never taught English there but knew many in the program you are talking about - all seemed to be quite happy with the situation. Depending on the place you end up either teaching the class or in the worst case supporting a teacher who is convinced their English is far better than it really is.

In three weeks I will be headed back to Japan for another extended stay. Some people love the country - some hate it.

It helps if there is at least one other English speaking person in the dojo before you but good Aikido instruction is not that verbally complicated. I had no problems. Go for it.