PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Campi
08-31-2008, 10:40 AM
I have been thinking about starting Aikido now for a few years, and finally decided that it was time to get started. Between family (including two kids) and work it is certainly not easy to find the time.

I live in Washington, DC, and I just turned 40. I am somewhat concerned about getting started in my 40's, but will take it slow at the beginning to make sure I don't get injured. Plus, I'm only getting older, so delaying my start is not going to help!

I have been looking at places to train here in DC, and would also welcome any suggestions or recommendations about the available choices.

Looking forward to practicing Aikido, learning, and hopefully making some friends.

Fernando

DevinHammer
08-31-2008, 09:27 PM
Dude! in DC there's only one reasonable choice - Saotome Sensei's dojo, ASU Headquarters! http://www.aikido-shobukan.org

And as far as starting at your age...
I was 42 when I started, and I never looked back. I occasionally kick myself for not starting sooner. But then I remind myself that everything has its time.
As long as you're not already a complete disaster, you should be able to dive right in. Just remember, to get out of it what I think you want to, you should plan on training at least 3 days per week. That will keep you in reasonable shape, and moving forward.

Good Luck