PDA

View Full Version : Beginning Aikidoka

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

aikido_newb
08-25-2008, 08:43 PM
Hi all,
I've been lurking the forum for a while while planning to begin training. I just had my first class today and am looking forward to learning all I can.

~Will Goodwin

barry.clemons
08-26-2008, 01:38 AM
Hello William!

How was your first class? What did you find difficult? Personally, I find sitting in seiza to be the most difficult portion of class!

aikido_newb
08-26-2008, 05:48 AM
Hello William!

How was your first class? What did you find difficult? Personally, I find sitting in seiza to be the most difficult portion of class!

I really enjoyed it.

I think the most difficult thing for me would be a toss up between the different ways to perform ukemi for the techniques(most of that was trying to take ukemi for ikkyo) and learning to not "strong arm" the techniques".

I come from a very minor background in Goju-Ryu Karate, so sitting in seiza was pretty much normal for me(when I first learned I would sit that way at home while watching TV to get used to the feeling).

Dieter Haffner
08-26-2008, 07:22 AM
You already memorized the name of some techniques after your first lesson?

After all these years, I'll still need a memory trick to know the difference between gokyo and yonkyo. :o
And it is a silly one as well, something to do with the order of techniques and the alphabet.

So, keep up the good work.