PDA

View Full Version : Hi! New aikidoka here!

Please visit our sponsor:

Ng Wee Yang
08-25-2008, 08:55 AM
i just want to say hello to everyone since i'm a new member here. A little introduction of myself,i am a student in Singapore,preparing for the A-levels now!During my training as a martial artist,i have studied kung fu from 2003 to 2004,the Southern shaolin style.But from 2005 onwards,i switched arts to aikido and now i am a 3rd kyu student.i also take up fencing from 2007 to 2008.However,due to my dreadful exams,i have to sacrifice my aikido training!
well,that's the end of the self introduction,i hope to build good relationships with you guys!

Sincerely,
wee yang

akiy
08-25-2008, 09:04 AM
Hi Wee Yang,

Welcome to AikiWeb and thank you for your introduction.

-- Jun

Pete Knox
08-27-2008, 01:38 PM
Wee Yang:

Welcome aboard. I for one would be interested to hear if you found any similarities between your Shaolin training and aikido training, in terms of movement, philosophy, or approach to similar techniques, such as joint locks and throws.

Once again, welcome -- you should have lots of fun here!

And good luck with the A-levels.

Bryan Sproles
08-27-2008, 05:00 PM
Welcome to Aikiweb!

I have many friends in Singapore (since the early 90's) and have been lucky enough to train twice at Aikido Shinjukai when I was there visiting in '99 (I wasn't yet in Aikido - I was still in traditional JuJutsu.)

I assume you're with Aikido Shinjukai - I haven't heard of any other Aikido clubs on the island.

Anyway, welcome aboard!

-Bryan

Ng Wee Yang
08-28-2008, 03:41 AM
Actually my aikido club is called aikido institute of Singapore,an independent organization that opened in 2000

Ng Wee Yang
08-28-2008, 03:55 AM
Actually,these 2 martial arts are very different,that is why i had difficulty adapting to my first few months of aikido training!movement is very different too.As for techniques,shaolin training does use some joint locks similar to kotegashi and nikkyo as well as throws such as hip throws.