PDA

View Full Version : Sports/Olympic Fever

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Hebrew Hammer
08-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Wow...what a week...I'm a channel flippin, internet clicking fool...

I must admit after watching the Olympic opening ceremonies, I have a confirmed case of Olympic fever..Phelps, Team Redeem, a 41 yr old female Silver medalist (Torres)...the coverage by NBC/USA network is awesome...the only thing thats driving me crazy is the scoring in the Boxing...its horrible, open scoring and the point system is very inadequate and doesn't reflect the real nature of the fights...I feel sorry for many of the boxers putting out their all for naught. If there are any doubters if China has arrived as world power, you are indeed mistaken my friend.

Add into that, the UFC 87 which kept me clicking for updates on Sherdog all night. The 'Contender Muy Thai' which has been very impressive, I'm fortuante enough to train at a MMA gym so I plan on trying my first Muy Thai class this week. Should be painful. :D

And the "Piece De Resistance', the Mother of all that is right in the universe, Football season has begun!!!! My Chargers crushed the Dallas Cowboys but I cannot wait until the College season begins...I might have to invest in a Tivo this year.

Is anyone else having time management issues?

Shany
08-10-2008, 01:05 PM
I Usually only watch Judo, as I like it very much! ( 4 years left for london.. I wonder if i could make it :D )

dalen7
08-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Totally been into watching the olympics - watched Judo and was disappointed that it felt like it didnt really go anywhere, per say.
The bouts seem short and most of it is grabbing each others gi...maybe the olympic boxing will be aired here, who knows. :)

- dont get me wrong for those who like the sport...but it feels like it is the middle part of an act...missing act 1 and act 3 so to speak.
Maybe that would be boxing for act 1 and BJJ for act 3? :)

Poor Hungarian Judoka girl got pounced on - but I think she went in with an injury from what I read.
100 - 1 (Dont know much about Judo, but was surprised to see the 1 point, as it seems typically people get 100 off the bat...or nothing at all.)

As for other sports...
Those gymnast = totally cool.
If I could jump up in the air and flip in circles...I would be beside myself. :D

To bad NBCs web stuff doesnt work for Mac OS X (if your not using an Intel machine...not even with 'silverlight') - but we have some decent coverage on Europ sport Live here. :)

Peace

dAlen

lifeafter2am
08-10-2008, 04:03 PM
Luckily I have an intel machine since they are not broadcasting Judo or TKD here, two of the three sports I want to watch.

:)

dalen7
08-12-2008, 09:35 AM
Luckily I have an intel machine since they are not broadcasting Judo or TKD here, two of the three sports I want to watch.

:)

Yeah - Just went to my mother-in-laws, went to the NBC site on her PC, downloaded Silverlight - got all excited...

...and then it said only for the U.S.

And the BBC is only for Britain, etc.
Oh, well. :D

Im enjoying what I can catch on eurosport Live. :)
Kayaking is looking like a cool sport... :)

Peace

dAlen

SeiserL
08-12-2008, 12:07 PM
What do you mean, not everyone is watching television all day and night and catching what we don't see on the internet?

No time management issues, like the Tour de France, there are priorities.

Connor Haberland
08-12-2008, 03:43 PM
I am watching the olympics for the Martial Arts. Judo, Taekwondo, AND this year Wushu. Wushu was approved as a tournament, not a demonstration sport. It isnt even listed in the scheduals on NBC. I think it starts on the 21st to the 24th.

Although, I cant wait for Hockey to start back up again. Cant say Im much of a football fan though.

Connor

Hebrew Hammer
08-12-2008, 04:55 PM
I am watching the olympics for the Martial Arts. Judo, Taekwondo, AND this year Wushu. Wushu was approved as a tournament, not a demonstration sport. It isnt even listed in the scheduals on NBC. I think it starts on the 21st to the 24th.

Connor

I wasn't aware of Wushu being included either....I'm looking forward to catching some of that...hopefully it will be San Shou style scoring. Call it narrowmindedness but I hate the word 'Wushu'...I used to study Choi Lee Fut Kung Fu/Gong Fu...but Wushu just sounds so...uh...unimpressive.

Something about the Olympics brings out my competitive and emotional native...I found myself yelling at the TV last night at 1230am while watching the Men's gynmastics team almost win the Silver, then almost implode on the last event to hold on to the bronze! USA, USA, USA!!!! :D

Hebrew Hammer
08-12-2008, 05:00 PM
No time management issues, like the Tour de France, there are priorities.

Lynn,
Did you just compare the Tour de Steroids to the Olympics, the second greatest sporting event in the world (next to football)? :p

Connor Haberland
08-12-2008, 07:51 PM
I wasn't aware of Wushu being included either....I'm looking forward to catching some of that...hopefully it will be San Shou style scoring. Call it narrowmindedness but I hate the word 'Wushu'...I used to study Choi Lee Fut Kung Fu/Gong Fu...but Wushu just sounds so...uh...unimpressive.

Something about the Olympics brings out my competitive and emotional native...I found myself yelling at the TV last night at 1230am while watching the Men's gynmastics team almost win the Silver, then almost implode on the last event to hold on to the bronze! USA, USA, USA!!!! :D

Sweet. I would love to study Kung Fu, but sadly there are no schools around here that teach it. :( http://en.beijing2008.cn/live/pressconference/mpc/n214505175_1.shtml

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-10/16/content_3621265.htm

http://www.newsgd.com/culture/culturenews/200510140032.htm

A few links on the subject.

Connor

lifeafter2am
08-12-2008, 09:51 PM

Am I the only a-hole that doesn't root for my own country? lol.

Connor Haberland
08-12-2008, 10:14 PM

Nope. Ive been rooting for many countries this time around.....

Hebrew Hammer
08-12-2008, 11:14 PM

No Sir, although I am a 'Homer', I do love the underdog and go beserk for the no name athlete from Togo or Mongolia or wherever who becomes his/hers country's hero...people who train their whole life for a sport they love.

dalen7
08-13-2008, 02:38 AM

Ive been rooting for Hungary and China.

So far Hungary has 1 medal - they used to sweep the medals in certain events like fencing.

But the thing is Hungarians have been winning, just for other countries. (i.e., Austria won a medal and it was a native born Hungarian representing them.)

Typically talent leaves the country as I understand it.
1/3 of Hungary is living somewhere else. (About 5 million people leaving 10 million here.)

As for China...always liked the Chinese...
But so does America - Apple Computer, Nike, etc. all have their sweat shops there. Its ironic the negative comments I have seen on youtube and other places about the Chinese - its fun to use someones resources I suppose and then criticize them for human right violations...forgetting we are the main ones creating inhumane situations. (again, the American sweat shops.)

No, Im not anti- american. (Im American myself)
I just am not for patriotism... from any country.
The reason being is I see the world as to small of a place to have always the us vs. them mentality. Sure its fun for games, etc. - but in the real world we need collaboration and many a times prejudices get in the way and we get the silly issues which just happened recently in Georgia (the country) with Russia.

As long as we create these labels to separate us, we can be controlled - even if its not by some conspiratorial big brother - the control is the ego over us and not us in control of our own destinies.

Sorry if this doesnt read that well - but back to topic... "go Hungary and China for the 2008 olympics" ;)

At least one of my teams are in the lead. :D

Actually I find myself rooting for all of them...they are quite amazing, and the fact you can give just one person the gold, when its so close...after all, ever heard of a bad day. Perhaps they should hold the olympics over a longer period of time...as to adjust for the chances of luck in the winning due to bad days, and other such adjustments. (i.e, home advantage, etc.) ;)

Peace

dAlen

Connor Haberland
08-13-2008, 10:21 AM
Ive been rooting for Hungary and China.

So far Hungary has 1 medal - they used to sweep the medals in certain events like fencing.

But the thing is Hungarians have been winning, just for other countries. (i.e., Austria won a medal and it was a native born Hungarian representing them.)

Typically talent leaves the country as I understand it.
1/3 of Hungary is living somewhere else. (About 5 million people leaving 10 million here.)

As for China...always liked the Chinese...
But so does America - Apple Computer, Nike, etc. all have their sweat shops there. Its ironic the negative comments I have seen on youtube and other places about the Chinese - its fun to use someones resources I suppose and then criticize them for human right violations...forgetting we are the main ones creating inhumane situations. (again, the American sweat shops.)

No, Im not anti- american. (Im American myself)
I just am not for patriotism... from any country.
The reason being is I see the world as to small of a place to have always the us vs. them mentality. Sure its fun for games, etc. - but in the real world we need collaboration and many a times prejudices get in the way and we get the silly issues which just happened recently in Georgia (the country) with Russia.

As long as we create these labels to separate us, we can be controlled - even if its not by some conspiratorial big brother - the control is the ego over us and not us in control of our own destinies.

Sorry if this doesnt read that well - but back to topic... "go Hungary and China for the 2008 olympics" ;)

At least one of my teams are in the lead. :D

Actually I find myself rooting for all of them...they are quite amazing, and the fact you can give just one person the gold, when its so close...after all, ever heard of a bad day. Perhaps they should hold the olympics over a longer period of time...as to adjust for the chances of luck in the winning due to bad days, and other such adjustments. (i.e, home advantage, etc.) ;)

Peace

dAlen

Yeah, Ive been rooting for alot of teams--Great Britain, China, Australia, Canada, and USA.

dalen7
08-13-2008, 03:52 PM
Yeah, Ive been rooting for alot of teams--Great Britain, China, Australia, Canada, and USA.

Yeah totally, I am just floored to see the level of skill these guys have. Has me rather motivated after watching all of this talent.

There are some sports in there I haven't really thought about that I wouldn't mind giving a shot if I were to have the opportunity.

Need to keep working on the basics though to get back in shape. Im taking things a bit slower than I would have a few years back - so I dont sustain injuries along the way. But slow and steady wins the race I suppose - well at least in this case. :D

Peace

dAlen

Hebrew Hammer
08-17-2008, 04:32 AM
OMG Phelps is freaking amazing...what a great race and Dara Torres had me screaming for her...ohhh...so close. What an exciting and entertaining olympics this has been. Wow.

xuzen
08-18-2008, 05:04 AM
I like to watch women diving, soccer and beach volleyball... I think they have the most gorgeous face and 'ahem/cough' physique in the games.

Boon.

DonMagee
08-18-2008, 01:13 PM
I wish they would show TKD on american tv. It would put a lot of pressure on the local schools to actually teach 'real' tkd.

That said, i've been following the judo as its posted online. Very fun to watch.

xuzen
08-19-2008, 12:35 AM
A special shout-out to the Marathon runners... you guys/gals amazes me. I can never fathom in my lifetime how you guys/gals are able to run at those speed and at those distance. You are truly super-human.

I bow humbly...amazed.

Boon

Hebrew Hammer
08-19-2008, 11:00 PM
I like to watch women diving, soccer and beach volleyball... I think they have the most gorgeous face and 'ahem/cough' physique in the games.

Ok I'm with you brother, but the Russian Pole Vaulter was pretty fantastic too....

Things they need to do away with...any sport involving the word 'synchronized'....doing something in unison with someone else does not make you a good athlete.