PDA

View Full Version : A humbling memory

Please visit our sponsor:

Stefan Stenudd
08-06-2008, 02:31 PM
I found an old film of me as a very uncertain and nervous tori, doing taisabaki on bokken attacks by my teacher at the time, Toshikazu Ichimura. He was 6 dan Renshi in iaido, so he knew how to swing that thingy. Me, I was 19 or 20 years old, hardly yet comfortable in my hakama, swinging my arms as if longing to fly away. It was in 1973 or '74.
I put it on my YouTube account - sort of masochistically:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFUAljTzWV4

When I look at the film now, I am reminded of how flabbergasted I was with that whole aikido world, and the grim sensei, and the daredevil scent of it all. What was I doing there, really, being a timid adolescent at heart - and still loving it?

Do you recognize the feeling?

crbateman
08-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Yep. I still have it... ;)

jennifer paige smith
08-06-2008, 03:08 PM
Yep. I still have it... ;)

Me, too.

Each time I 'get over it', Aikido gets bigger, and the mystery continues.

Aikibu
08-06-2008, 03:48 PM
Very Cool Stefan!

Ahh the old days when you were so skinny (in my case) you did not have to move as much to get out of the way. LOL :D

I still have that feeling too.

William Hazen

tuturuhan
08-08-2008, 11:05 AM
I found an old film of me as a very uncertain and nervous tori, doing taisabaki on bokken attacks by my teacher at the time, Toshikazu Ichimura. He was 6 dan Renshi in iaido, so he knew how to swing that thingy. Me, I was 19 or 20 years old, hardly yet comfortable in my hakama, swinging my arms as if longing to fly away. It was in 1973 or '74.
I put it on my YouTube account - sort of masochistically:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFUAljTzWV4

When I look at the film now, I am reminded of how flabbergasted I was with that whole aikido world, and the grim sensei, and the daredevil scent of it all. What was I doing there, really, being a timid adolescent at heart - and still loving it?

Stephan,

What a gift. It was quite eye opening to see your improvement from a beginner/shodan to a masterful/technician. Hmmm...what will happen in the next 35 year?

Joseph