PDA

View Full Version : many ways of aikido.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

lili
01-30-2002, 10:17 AM
hi every body!
i have one question, please tell me why there are several ways in aikido ( for exemple iwama and aikikai ), we know that aikido is tha martial art of Union.
thank's

akiy
01-30-2002, 10:56 AM
Here's a good discussion on the topic:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1321

-- Jun

guest1234
01-30-2002, 12:48 PM
If you are ever sick or injured, go watch a class. Closely observe your sensei's technique, then watch as other practice it. There are always differences, some pretty striking. Perhaps due to uke/attack, or to nage's size or temperment... I understood how students could see different things, but couldn't they feel the same technique as sensei did it to them?

Discussing how techniques feel with a very unsimilar sized/unsimilar temperment colleague of mine, I've since decided maybe part of the reason is how the original students were as ukes... we've all worked with them, and you treat an over-muscled/stiff/heavy footed uke differently than a fast moving/responsive one... I wonder how much styles diverged based on the ukemi of the original students.

Then of course there is a wide range of opinion on how best to teach others... if your dojo has more than one instructor, I'm sure you've noticed how different teachers can be... so depending on what each teacher thought was the best way to transmit ideas/techniques, came different approaches to Aikido.

Or I could be totally off base :rolleyes: ...

I don't think, however, that the differences are a sign of non-union or disharmony (unless we insist on making it so)... I'm the only one with green eyes in my family (a bit scary since everyone else has blue :eek: )... my twin is the only blonde child, my brother the only child with black hair... but we are a family none the less.

Greg Jennings
01-30-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by lili
hi every body!
i have one question, please tell me why there are several ways in aikido ( for exemple iwama and aikikai ), we know that aikido is tha martial art of Union.
thank's

Icecream is good. Why are there so many flavors?

Regards,

guest1234
01-30-2002, 02:41 PM
:D :D
French vanilla being my favorite, although tiamisu is a close second when Italian icecream is available

Greg Jennings
01-30-2002, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by ca
:D :D
French vanilla being my favorite <snip>

Mine too. Maybe it's an Iwama influence.

Best,

guest1234
01-30-2002, 03:22 PM
David Alexander Sensei would be surprised... not sure he thinks anything ever stuck with me:rolleyes: Of course, I might have thought Iwama would be rocky road :D

That might be fun to try, an ice cream - style preference poll at the Expo...

erikmenzel
02-08-2002, 01:37 PM
Well,

difference in style, organisation etc. only matter if we let them matter.
Unfortunatly a lot of people let them matter :mad: