PDA

View Full Version : NRA

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

James Davis
08-01-2008, 11:41 AM
By the way, the "average Joes pooling money for ad time to have their voices heard" is a bit disengenous don't you think. In all my years and travels acoss this land I've yet to meet one of these "average Joes".

I'm being quite candid, I assure you. My name may not be Joe, but I'm pretty darn average. I pool my money with and submit my concerns alongside other members of the NRA.

Average Joes also pool their money with labor unions to have a stronger voice in negotiations.

We average Joes are everywhere, Dan. Joooiiin us.:hypno:

:)

Dan O'Day
08-01-2008, 12:51 PM
I'm waiting for them to change the name to Average Dans.

The NRA...wow. Years ago I purchased a Winchester 300 magnum for elk hunting. Somehow or another the NRA got my name and sent me literature for about fifteen years.

I used to shake my head at that stuff whenever I'd look through it. I remember they'd conduct "polling" so they could let the politicians they were lobbying know what the "voice of the people was".

Some of their polling questions were so outrageously worded I coudn't believe that anyone wouldn't see through their alleged agenda. Their questions were often structured near as ridiculous as the following example:

NRA Polling Question: Do you, as a gun owner, believe those who are against gun ownership are:

a. Stupid

b. Unpatriotic Americans

c. Cowards and traitors

d. Dumb

You must pick one of the above.

Nope. Not for me. I own guns but I don't support the NRA or any lobbying group masquearding as a citizen's rights group when what they really are is the lobbying arm of big business gun manufacturers who care not a whit for anything but profit.

Harsh I know, James. I call them the way I see them. If it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck then by god it's a duck.

By the way that Win. 300 was the best by golly carbine for the money I've ever come across. I ended up "pawning" it to a friend years ago and when I went to buy it back he'd sold it, the bum. Oh well. we've been friends for over 40 years so I let it pass.

Today I don't hunt anyway but do try to flyfish when I can. A fair amount of nice lakes and streams in the Pacific Northwest there are.

But to your original point, yes, I stand corrected. people give to the NRA, Unions, internet deals like Common Dreams, From The Wilderness, and my personal favorite Democracy Now! which is the only media outlet that consistently tells the truth with exception of PRI's To The Point with Warren Olney ( KCRA, Santa Monica, CA ).

Ole Warren has discussed the banking fiasco with accredited guests to a degree much deeper than any other media source, that's for sure.

James Davis
08-01-2008, 05:02 PM
The NRA...wow. Years ago I purchased a Winchester 300 magnum for elk hunting. Somehow or another the NRA got my name and sent me literature for about fifteen years.

I used to shake my head at that stuff whenever I'd look through it. I remember they'd conduct "polling" so they could let the politicians they were lobbying know what the "voice of the people was".

Some of their polling questions were so outrageously worded I coudn't believe that anyone wouldn't see through their alleged agenda. Their questions were often structured near as ridiculous as the following example:

NRA Polling Question: Do you, as a gun owner, believe those who are against gun ownership are:

a. Stupid

b. Unpatriotic Americans

c. Cowards and traitors

d. Dumb

You must pick one of the above.

I thought I was supposed to be the disingenuous one.:confused:

Nope. Not for me. I own guns but I don't support the NRA or any lobbying group masquearding as a citizen's rights group when what they really are is the lobbying arm of big business gun manufacturers who care not a whit for anything but profit.

Harsh I know, James. I call them the way I see them. If it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck then by god it's a duck.

Unless it's a robot duck.

I agree that the NRA's really into advertising expensive guns in its publications, but I can't deny that the NRA-ILA has gotten results in America's courtrooms that benefit me. If we were denied the right to own firearms in the U.S., there would still be plenty of warlords interested in buying them worldwide from our gun manufacturers; I don't accept the premise that the NRA only benefits gun manufacturers.

By the way that Win. 300 was the best by golly carbine for the money I've ever come across. I ended up "pawning" it to a friend years ago and when I went to buy it back he'd sold it, the bum. Oh well. we've been friends for over 40 years so I let it pass.

I don't hunt, so the only rifle I have is a .22. I'm more into pistols.

Today I don't hunt anyway but do try to flyfish when I can. A fair amount of nice lakes and streams in the Pacific Northwest there are.

'Can't throw an uke without hitting water over here.:rolleyes: