View Full Version : Hello to all

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Peter Gugel
07-31-2008, 02:26 PM

I am a new student in Aikido, and I figured I would join this forum. The immediate reason for it, is because I have a couple of questions regarding my training outside of the dojo.

Where is the appropriate place to post these questions:

What exercises can I do to relieve the burden on my back muscles. After a few consecutive minutes in a lowered stance, my back muscles start to become very tight. After maybe fifteen minutes of continuous practice, they tense to the point that I can't ignore the pain anymore. I'm not straining or spraining anything in a technical sense, I'm fine after sitting down for a few minutes. Two things contribute: I hurt my back mildly in high school playing football, and I am overweight.

The second question: My feet are very inflexible. On the mats I can't really practically maintain an 'active toe' sitting in seiza, and I certainly cannot on a hard surface. Are there any exercises other than just constantly bending and stretching the toes further that I can do to help? As long as I am controlled in the stretches and do not exceed a reasonable amount of pain, is there still potential for serious injury in doing this stretch - that is, am I doing the wrong thing?

Thanks very much!

Peter Gugel

07-31-2008, 02:28 PM
Hi Peter,

Welcome to AikiWeb. You probably want to use the General forum to ask your questions rather than asking them here in the Introductions forum.

-- Jun

Peter Gugel
07-31-2008, 02:44 PM

I will post them in general. I just wanted to make sure they shouldn't go to some subsection like training.

07-31-2008, 03:38 PM
Welcome to AikiWeb Peter!