PDA

View Full Version : Taking Form...Being a Hero

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

tuturuhan
07-23-2008, 04:12 PM
A response to the Wonderous Dave on Formosa Nejiia

To be a Hero

No form to form. Form back to no form. It spirals. It begins to look easy with practice.

We are not born heroes. We are thrust into circumstances. In the beginning, we are forced to compete. Some of us win and decide to jump back into the pool. Others, shy away.

Later in life, some of us “decide/choose” to compete while the majority/others sit on the sidelines.

Those who sit on the sidelines continue to be thrust “into life” no matter how hard they try to avoid it. The more they avoid it…the more they experience cowardice.

I am a man that feels fear. I begrudgingly choose to compete…to be a hero. But, the more I do it the less I allow others to determine my cowardice. It never gets easy. It only looks easy.

Each time, “my form” as a man becomes a reflection of what is inside me. It only looks easy.

Sincerely
Tuhan Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

tuturuhan
07-24-2008, 09:55 AM
The Form of a Hero

Is it the technique we practice? Is it the structure that we form after years of study? Is it the philosophy that is tested after decades of practice?

Or is it how we use the technique, structure and philosophy? Joseph Cambell talked about the prevading mythology of the hero. Do the martial arts groom and model the form for those who choose to be heroes?

I personally believe that our actions are of far greater value than our words.

Sincerely
Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

SeiserL
07-24-2008, 10:01 AM
IMHO, a hero is simply someone with enough common sense to know the right thing to do and the courage to do it.

tuturuhan
07-24-2008, 12:30 PM
IMHO, a hero is simply someone with enough common sense to know the right thing to do and the courage to do it.

Do we get courage from wearing the uniform, holding our hands in a certain way, or saying the words?

SeiserL
07-24-2008, 08:46 PM
Do we get courage from wearing the uniform, holding our hands in a certain way, or saying the words?
No.

tuturuhan
07-24-2008, 11:18 PM
No.

Yes...

Many choose to wear uniforms because there is a "hope" that they will attain "the structure" that will attract courage.

lbb
07-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Yes...

Many choose to wear uniforms because there is a "hope" that they will attain "the structure" that will attract courage.

If you already had decided on the answer, why did you ask the question?

tuturuhan
07-25-2008, 11:51 AM
If you already had decided on the answer, why did you ask the question?

Mary,

Lynn has his opinion, you have yours and I have mine. Can my opinion change? Yes.

Why do I ask the question about being a hero...well, because it looks easier than what it is. Am I interested in illiciting your insight and opinions? Yes...especially if you see yourself as a hero.

Sincerely
Joseph T. Oliva Arriola