PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a dojo

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

BKeesler
07-19-2008, 02:35 PM
Hello All,

Been off for a while raising my four youngsters and am at a point now where I can get back to training. I have been looking at dojo's in my area via the search engine on this site and have really been shocked at the cost. The rub is that my two oldest girls would like to train which I think is a great thing and have been pressing them to try. However, the cost is..... well shocking. Some dojos to the tune of $150 to $200 plus a month. Thats quite a large chunk of money for a family guy.

So my question is to those of you who know or are running a dojo is asking for a family discount discourteous/rude?

Thanks for the help.
B<

Mark Uttech
07-19-2008, 02:58 PM
Onegaishimasu. In a word, "no". Most dojos that I know of have family discounts. My own is $60/mo. So far I haven't run into any of those families with eight kids.

In gassho,

Mark

jennifer paige smith
07-19-2008, 03:00 PM
Hello All,

Been off for a while raising my four youngsters and am at a point now where I can get back to training. I have been looking at dojo's in my area via the search engine on this site and have really been shocked at the cost. The rub is that my two oldest girls would like to train which I think is a great thing and have been pressing them to try. However, the cost is..... well shocking. Some dojos to the tune of $150 to $200 plus a month. Thats quite a large chunk of money for a family guy.

So my question is to those of you who know or are running a dojo is asking for a family discount discourteous/rude?

Thanks for the help.
B<

Hi Brian,
Welcome back to training, I hope. I run an organization of dojos and in my viewpoint it is healthy to inquire about rates and family discounts. It's very good to confront finances early in any relationship: business, educational, personal...... It is common for dojos to have family rates and discounts, and some even offer scholarships for those who fit within certain financial parameters. It doesn't hurt to ask as long as you ask politely.

I'm cetain others will be along to tell you that all dojo's are not the same and you can't just go by rates. I would concur with that and encourage you to find the dojo that feels the best to you all the way around and begin your new training relationship there.
I'm gonna take a second to google some dojos in your area and I'll post again if I see anything worthy of mention, positive or negative.

Happy Training,
Jen Smith

Zach Trent
07-19-2008, 03:02 PM
Hey Brian!

Welcome back to Aikido- I have to agree with you that that seems like a lot of dough- I hope that with that amount of money that you have a lot of classes to choose from.

I have been affiliated with four different dojos in my martial journey, and they all offered family discounts, though it was always publicized. I never had to ask about it...

I think your question is very valid because some instructors could get a little ruffled if you ask about getting a discount (so what your saying is that my instruction isn't worth the money I'm asking for?), but I would hope that not too many people wouldn't get upset about it.

Maybe you could ask a student, rather than the instructor...that could avoid the whole issue :)

jennifer paige smith
07-19-2008, 03:25 PM
I have a thought ( ouch!),
You might enjoy contacting Dennis Hooker Sensei via Aikiweb. He is an awesome instructor involved in the ASU schools and could possibley give you some good direction as you begin training again.

crbateman
07-19-2008, 08:36 PM
There are some good schools in your area. If you like ASU, they have a school in Sarasota (Steve McPeck or PeeWee Jones Senseis), or if you want to see the Skyway bridge regularly, John Messores Sensei has a good school in Largo. If Iwama is your bag, then I think there are a couple of folks teaching in Sarasota. There is also a Jiyushinkai dojo right in Bradenton, although I'm sorry to say I do not know the instructor, but if he has the Chuck Clark seal of approval, he must know his stuff.

Most dojos will work with fees for multiple family members. It's not offensive to ask, as it may make the difference whether you can train or not. Instructors understand that.

BKeesler
07-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Everyone thanks for the input much appreciated!!! could someone clarify the difference between ASU and Iwama uncertain as to the differences if any.

lifeafter2am
07-20-2008, 02:38 PM
ASU is an organization under the Aikikai style, Iwama is Iwama style.

Technically it includes an emphasis on the relationship among TAIJUTSU, KEN and JO movements. This style of aikido reflects the art of Ueshiba as taught approximately between the years of 1946-1955 and there are more techniques than are presently practiced at the AIKIKAI HOMBU DOJO

Shannon Frye
07-20-2008, 03:07 PM
As a father of 3 boys, let me say that you should never feel it inappropriate to ask about family discounts. If you find an instructot / place that is offended by this, walk away. It is within the American culture to ask questions - especially of those wanting to charge you money.

Shannon