PDA

View Full Version : Kana and Kanji Fonts?

Please visit our sponsor:

Arianah
01-27-2002, 12:41 PM
Does anyone know where I can get (preferrably free) Katakana, Hiragana, and basic Kanji fonts?

ze'ev erlich
01-27-2002, 03:15 PM
Hi

If you wish to write usung Japanese fonts, all you need is using Windows 2000 or xp with office 2000 or xp . this combination enables you to mix as many languages as you wish in one text.

Largo
01-28-2002, 11:58 PM
Check out www.njstar.com They have a great wordprocessor and reader...and it`s free. (well...technically it`s shareware...but I have yet to put in a kanji it hasn`t found)

erikmenzel
02-05-2002, 01:16 PM
For a japanese wordprocessor look at http://www.physics.ucla.edu/~grosenth/jwpce.html
this is really for free.
Got some bitmap fonts included but works fine with other fonts (among which the msMincho font of microsoft)

Hope this helps

bcole23
02-05-2002, 02:33 PM
If you just want to be able to type in Japanese in an HTML document, all you need is Windows IME. It's a free download off Microsoft's web site and works for any windows (or mac I think) OS.

If you download the Japanese fonts all you can do is look at Japanese characters, but get the ime and you can type all you want. It works with Office 2000, Outlook, and Internet Explorer.

I have tried
Check out www.njstar.com They have a great wordprocessor and reader...and it`s free. (well...technically it`s shareware...but I have yet to put in a kanji it hasn`t found)
and it's very nice.

One problem with these is that many gaijin like myself end up putting the wrong kanji in your documents. If you don't know kanji, try to put [ ]'s with hiragana next to what you're attempting to say.

for example
日本語は月「すき」だ。
This says nihon go wa tsuki da.
As for Japanese, it's a moon.

It should read
日本語は好きだ。
This says nihon go wa suki da.
[I] like Japanese.
(or something like that)

月 and 好き are very different.

Anne
02-05-2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Largo

I can definately recommend this one, too, if you actually want to write texts in japanese. You can enter romaji and select the style in which the japanese characters shall appear. It also offers a radical look up table and gives suggestions on the selection of the appropriate kanji.

Anne