PDA

View Full Version : Aikido Lessons at Home - Which DVDs?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Luis E. Encarnacion
06-19-2008, 10:40 PM
I need help from a Pro.. I am starting to take Aikido lessons at home what dvds do you recommend to start up with..:ai: :ki: :do:

Jennifer Yabut
06-20-2008, 03:10 PM
I need help from a Pro.. I am starting to take Aikido lessons at home what dvds do you recommend to start up with..:ai: :ki: :do:

Aikido DVDs are a great *supplement* tool for training, but you can NOT learn Aikido just from watching videos.

Have you checked out these dojos:

Shudokan School of Aikido (http://www.shudokanaikido.com/) (affiliated with Shudokan Aikido Association)

Aikido of San Antonio (http://www.aikidosa.org/) (affiliated with the USAF)

Don_Modesto
06-20-2008, 03:32 PM
Aikido DVDs are a great *supplement* tool for training, but you can NOT learn Aikido just from watching videos.

Have you checked out these dojos:

Shudokan School of Aikido (http://www.shudokanaikido.com/) (affiliated with Shudokan Aikido Association)

Aikido of San Antonio (http://www.aikidosa.org/) (affiliated with the USAF)Conventional wisdom here is also good advice. I second.

Mark Uttech
06-20-2008, 08:27 PM
I agree, you cannot learn aikido from watching dvds. However, you can help yourself with ukemi #1 and #2 featuring Donovan Waite. Hopefully, you will be inspired to join a dojo for real.

In gassho,

Mark

Jennifer Yabut
06-20-2008, 10:46 PM
I agree, you cannot learn aikido from watching dvds. However, you can help yourself with ukemi #1 and #2 featuring Donovan Waite. Hopefully, you will be inspired to join a dojo for real.

In gassho,

Mark

Actually...learning ukemi from watching videos is just as dangerous. The stuff Waite Sensei does in his videos should not be attempted by someone with *no* formal training. Again, it's a good training supplemental, but definitely not a substitute.

Not only that, some newbies may actually get scared from watching the harder falls.

dalen7
06-21-2008, 03:42 AM
I personally recommend Aikido 3D.
You can pay and download it through the net on Mac or PC.

http://www.aikido3d.com/

It has been invaluable to me in learning Aikido (starting specifically) here in Hungary where I do not speak the language of my instructor and fellow classmates. (Well Aikiweb has been invaluable as well for trying to figure out things and concepts that I otherwise would not have gotten due to language barrier.)

With Aikido 3D you can view various angles (a plus as videos you dont see all sides.)

I would say videos are like stage 2.
If your new to Aikido then the Aikido 3D software is a good point (along with taking lessons if you can), and then as you start to get some of the basic concepts of Aikido its easier to work with videos where you dont necessarily see all angles.

Im pretty new at Aikido (a year now) and this is what has worked for me. Good luck with your training.

Peace

dAlen

note: some things I would not have gotten unless I actually did live training with an instructor.
Things that make the moves 'come alive' or 'practical' vs. going through a movement and not quite knowing what makes it work. - also, safety is key to keep in mind with aikido...its easy with some of the moves to get an injury.

rob_liberti
06-21-2008, 06:02 AM
Actually...learning ukemi from watching videos is just as dangerous. The stuff Waite Sensei does in his videos should not be attempted by someone with *no* formal training. Again, it's a good training supplemental, but definitely not a substitute.

Not only that, some newbies may actually get scared from watching the harder falls.

I agree. (And I have those videos.) You have to remember that Donovan sensei has tremendous ability to receive nage's force into his own body and disperse it a lot. That is not generally the case! Sometimes when the power differential is great between nage and uke, that ukemi is not the safest thing to do.

I recall a story of Sugano sensei basically wrecking some poor uchi deshi who continued to try to take Donovan's ukemi style when he (the uchi deshi) had been warned that it was dangerous in that situation. I don't think the guy was being difficult on purpose, I think he had burned in those movements and couldn't NOT move that way - on command. Anyway, remember to be critical no matter who the source is. If it comes from the "best" it might require or pre-suppose a bit more "body talent".

All that said, I like his ukemi (becuase I can generally absorb nage's power pretty well myself).

Rob

Aiki Teacher
06-21-2008, 09:10 AM

There is an Aiki Kai affiliated school there in San Angelo. They are affiliated with the shudokan organization and the school in Midland. We are all under the instruction of Hiroshi Kato 8th dan of Japan. He is a direct student of the founder!

Charles Hill
06-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Hi, I am going to disagree with the comments of Mr.Waite's ukemi videos. If one were to take his specific ukemi techniques and practice them in isolation, then yes, they are dangerous. However, when you look at his two videos as a whole, including the interviews, explanations, and drills to instill the techniques, the result will be far better than what I have seen than most of what I have seen at a variety of dojo in both the US and Japan (including Honbu.) The trick is to keep coming back to what he is teaching again and again until you can freely take ukemi in a wide variety of situations.

Charles

rob_liberti
06-22-2008, 07:00 AM
Alright, but as I said a NY uchi deshi who certainly kept coming back to what Donovan sensei was teaching (even first hand) again and again until he could freely take ukemi in a wide variety of situations - ended up in one of those situations that got him splattered and injured. Power differential matters. I have the videos. I like them. I have had him at my dojo giving us specific instruction in those things, and I have traveled to see him many times. But, I wouldn't say that all of the changes from the ukemi one might learn in Japan are necessarily best practices. YMMV

Rob

Jorge Garcia
06-23-2008, 04:19 AM

Unfortunately, you do need an instructor. Doing Aikido is like getting a haircut. Someone else cuts it, not you. Every barber has a barber. In Aikido, as instructor corrects what he see you doing that needs changing because you can't see yourself. He relates your needs according to his knowledge of what comes next based on his own experience. He knows the path because he has been on it. Even if you learn some steps, that will take you nowhere. You absolutely need someone to guide you. The greater misunderstanding occurs in failing to see that Aikido is more than techniques but is a training in body, mind and spirit. The instructor is a guide who leads the training for everyone and takes the practitioners on a group journey. You do Aikido for yourself and in one sense, by yourself (the Aikido is going on inside of you) but with a group and with many partners. That is a distinct part of the Aikido experience.

In the past, I have had many people ask me what they can do at home. I tell them that they can read and think about aikido. I also tell them they can practice our weapons system at home but even that is related to the techniques and needs an instructor to coach you in. We do the weapons in class and then they can review the movements on their own before the next class but in the end, Aikido is a uniquely a dojo experience. The American Aikido Academy is there in San Angelo. I suggest you go there. Otherwise, stick to the books but it is dangerous to try Aikido without a teacher watching you. Safety is the one thing the videos can't help you with because the instructor on the video isn't there to tell you to stop because what you are doing could be very dangerous to your partner.

Having said that, if you want to see some videos on Aikido, check out Kensho Furuya's video series. It is good for beginners.
Best wishes,
Jorge