PDA

View Full Version : Poll: How valuable are seminars in your aikido learning experience?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

AikiWeb System
06-15-2008, 01:30 AM
AikiWeb Poll for the week of June 8, 2008:

How valuable are seminars in your aikido learning experience?

I don't do aikido
Critically valuable
Very valuable
Somewhat valuable
Not very valuable
Not at all valuable

Here are the current results (http://www.aikiweb.com/polls/results.html?poll_id=426).

Cast your vote at the top right of this page (http://www.aikiweb.com).

jducusin
06-15-2008, 10:44 PM
First one to post! :-D

I voted "Critically valuable"; due to there not being formalized competition in most styles of Aikido, I believe seminars are a great way to not only gain experience practicing with a number of different individuals than one is used to but also to measure one's progress alongside other individuals of similar rank --- though the latter is by no means meant to foster pride or a competitive spirit, but instead to give one an alternative perspective on their level of practice. Likewise, having exposure to other instructors (and in the case of seminars, oftentimes high-ranking instructors at that) broadens one's experience and perspective.

It is unfortunate that there are some teachers who forbid their students to attend seminars and not only practice with others outside their dojo but it would seem, forbid them to learn Aikido from other instructors. It certainly makes one wonder what these instructors have to hide from their students...

Stefan Stenudd
06-18-2008, 03:14 PM
I also voted "critically valuable" indeed.
Seminars are like experiencing legendary performers live. We participate in kind of a creative seance of aikido. Not every seminar is a revelation, but I find that I learn a lot also from seminars where the teachers are not the legendary ones.
I guess that it has something to do with the melting pot of it.

Competing sports have competitions as their festivities, and aikido has its seminars. It would be much poorer without them, and I would be much less inspired.

PS: Only three more days until our seminar with Tamura sensei, and I just can't wait. If you have been to one of his seminars, you know the feeling - if not, hurry to the next one within your reach!
I assure you that when you have experienced it, you will also vote "critically valuable" :)