PDA

View Full Version : Poll: How valuable are seminars in your aikido learning experience?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

AikiWeb System
06-13-2008, 09:25 AM
AikiWeb Poll for the week of June 8, 2008:

How valuable are seminars in your aikido learning experience?

I don't do aikido
Critically valuable
Very valuable
Somewhat valuable
Not very valuable
Not at all valuable

Here are the current results (http://www.aikiweb.com/polls/results.html?poll_id=426).

Cast your vote at the top right of this page (http://www.aikiweb.com).

Mark Uttech
06-13-2008, 11:14 AM
Onegaishimasu. In my experience, attending seminars intensifies a person's practice. One also gets to practice with a greater diversity of partners. I think this type of intensive practice is what makes aikido a budo.

In gassho,

Mark

Nafis Zahir
06-13-2008, 03:13 PM
I just attended the Birankai Summer Camp in San Diego, where Chiba Sensei celebrated 50 years in Aikido. Doshu was there and taught 3 classes that I attended. There were also many other Shihan not just in attendance, but who also taught classes as well. This was my second time seeing Doshu. Among the instructors who taught were:

Chiba Sensei
Doshu
Miyamoto Sensei
Shiohira Sensei
Fujimaki Sensei
Horri Sensei
Yamada Sensei

There were other instructors, but I did not attend the entire camp. Besides working with people from other schools, I also got a chance to work with people of other styles, who not only do techniques differently, but also take different ukemi. This is very helpful in learning how to apply your technique equally to everyone regardless of the differences. I also got the chance to work with several Shihan one on one. I worked with Bluhm, DiAnne, and Waite Sensei's. What an experience! I also got the chance to meet Pat Hendricks Sensei, who was a long time student of the late Saito Sensei. It was a very valuable seminar, and yes I did learn a lot. I learned a lot by observation, verbal explanation, and the experience of being both uke and nage to many people who were looking to grow in Aikido. This seminar was by far the best I have ever attended.