PDA

View Full Version : what is up with the belt system???

Please visit our sponsor:

David Pien
01-23-2002, 03:26 PM
I have been doing a lot of thinking and I have a brown belt in tae bo and it kicks major ass but I really want to ask is why do people take aikido more than 2 years?? because black belt is the highest belt right?? well DUH it is! so once you get your black belt you will be the same level as your sensaei right? so what do you do then? do you start your own dogo because your sensaie obveusly cant teach you any more if you are at the same level as him!!! now maybe it is different in china where it originated because I think it goes black, gold then the last one is eagle belt but still, there should be more belts so you could train more in america.

Brian Vickery
01-23-2002, 03:45 PM
...Now wasn't that SPECIAL!!! (...in my best 'Church Lady' voice imitation)

Ah David ....did you happen to eat paint chips as a kid or was your house located under power lines or something?!?!

...just curious!

PeterR
01-23-2002, 03:48 PM
Trolling along country roads with my baby - I turn to her and she ......

David Pien
01-23-2002, 03:53 PM
NO I did not eat paint chips as a kid and my house was NOT located under power lines! Look I know what I am talking about ok! I have studied martial arts my whole life and my dad was a cop ok?

Carl Simard
01-23-2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by David Pien
...and my dad was a cop ok?

So, how the job of your dad has anything to do with your knowledge or skills in martial arts? ???! :confused:

From your first post, it seems that you should continue to do martial arts because you have understand nothing!!!

David H
01-23-2002, 04:19 PM
Perhaps all that is needed to know is that a literal translation of Shodan is "first grade".
You only start there.........

Greg Jennings
01-23-2002, 04:19 PM
I have been doing a lot of thinking and I have a brown belt in tae bo and it kicks major ass but I really want to ask is why do people take aikido more than 2 years?? because black belt is the highest belt right?? well DUH it is! so once you get your black belt you will be the same level as your sensaei right? so what do you do then? do you start your own dogo because your sensaie obveusly cant teach you any more if you are at the same level as him!!! now maybe it is different in china where it originated because I think it goes black, gold then the last one is eagle belt but still, there should be more belts so you could train more in america.

Is troll and/or idiot. Ignore and will go away.

Greg Jennings

AJ Beaupre
01-23-2002, 04:23 PM
Aikido is a martial art that does not consider the black belt to be the "golden calf". Once you attain the rank Shodan you are not considered a master of aikido, you are considered a serious student. Many of the pure practitioners of aikido feel that you are not of "master or teacher" status until you are at least a sandan. So to answer your question, when you achieve the rank of black belt you can continue to practice with that sensei or other sensei's and work to achieve a higher Dan rank. People who practice the art of Aikido with the intent to get their black belt and start a dojo of their own are truly losing what the real meaning of Aikido is about.

PeterR
01-23-2002, 04:26 PM
Tae bo is a martial art?

Erik
01-23-2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by PeterR
Tae bo is a martial art?

Peter, it's a way of life.

[Censored]
01-23-2002, 05:31 PM
In ancient times, the Chinese ninja samurai used a combination belt/tassel/headband system to indicate their rank. Colored stripes were awarded directly by the king himself.

True warriors of old were known to wear a minimum of TWO belts.

But lineages have been broken, and methods have been lost. Modern practitioners disgrace the ancestors with their callous disregard for ornamentation.

Keep the faith, David Pien. May the Gods smile upon you.

akiy
01-23-2002, 05:35 PM
I just noticed that the TaeboWeb.com domain hasn't been registered yet...

-- Jun

Mike Collins
01-23-2002, 06:53 PM
That's it. I've made up my mind.

I'm going to China to study Aikido, so's I can get me a Eagle Belt. Then I can come back here, and give all of you guys what for.

I love this kind of stuff. This is the level I understand.

Mares
01-23-2002, 06:59 PM
I have several black belts. one of them has a gold buckle, another has a silver buckle. David, belts are only good for holding up your pants, sometimes not even that. Oh if you're really desperate for one, you can buy a black belt from your local martial arts supplier for about $8.50

I didnt' even know that tae bo had ranks. Being from Australia I'm nto taht knowledgeable about tae bo but I thought it was more of a fitness/recreation, much like exercise or boxercise.

mj
01-23-2002, 07:35 PM

Awesome.
Opportunities such as this are so rare :)
But, because I feel in an Aikido frame of mind, I will stand back and observe, for a while.

Taebo... ;)
Peace

MatthewWhite
01-23-2002, 10:02 PM
I think he has a point! I mean, you bust your butt for 12 years to get a diploma, or you can get those study tapes and get your GED. Why do we need any kind of certification after that! I mean, I know that High School taught me just as much as any PhD out there, so really, what's the point of going further once you get that diploma?

David Kerr
01-24-2002, 04:07 AM
Tae bo is that the martial art where they all wear reeboks and nikes, lots of spandex leotards and jump around to very bad rave music.It looks deadly........ on the eyes and ears. Keep The Faith........

By the way, I do Aikido and my dads a window cleaner......

Brian Vickery
01-24-2002, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by [Censored]
In ancient times, the Chinese ninja samurai ...

...Stop it!!! ...You guys are killing me here!!! ...I just sprayed my monitor with a mouthful of coffee after reading this one!!!!

Thalib
01-24-2002, 07:49 AM
What's next...

Billy Blanks is Korean, and he created TaeBo because he doesn't like the grading system of TaeKwonDo?

Like the Chinese Ninja Samurais of the old, he prefers to have different color shoes, leotards, and headbands instead of belts...

David Kerr
01-24-2002, 09:06 AM
Sorry about the monitor Brian..........

mle
01-24-2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by [Censored]
In ancient times, the Chinese ninja samurai used a combination belt/tassel/headband system to indicate their rank. Colored stripes were awarded directly by the king himself.

Nononono!!! The rank system was invented by the Koreans. Master Chiun TOLD me so.

I gotta go. Sinanju class starts in a few minutes.

mle-n-chuck

PS: Eagles got pants!?!?!
Oh, you mean the music group, yes?
Dinn't know THEY did marital arts!

Mike Collins
01-24-2002, 03:54 PM
MLE,

Never, ever mention Sinanju, or I will be forced to deal with you in a way The Emperor Smith may not approve of.

jk
01-24-2002, 07:17 PM
The Eagles? References to "Remo Williams?" You're dating yourself there, mle-n-chuck... ;)

At any rate, tae bo can't be that bad if you get to wear leotards...all that lovely support. In fact, I'm going to wear a leotard to practice tomorrow...

Regards,

mle
01-24-2002, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by jk
The Eagles? References to "Remo Williams?" You're dating yourself there, mle-n-chuck... ;)

Actually, no, we're marrried now.

any rate, tae bo can't be that bad if you get to wear leotards...all that lovely support. In fact, I'm going to wear a leotard to practice tomorrow...

The mind boggles. (grin)

cg-n-mle

mle
01-24-2002, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Mikey
MLE,

Never, ever mention Sinanju, or I will be forced to deal with you in a way The Emperor Smith may not approve of.

Oh did I say SINANJU??? Dammit. I meant GREENOCH!

Ahem.

Slainte, ya'll.

cg-n-mle

David Humm
01-24-2002, 10:41 PM
Tae-bo .. right ?

isn't that the black guy (no disrespect intended) doing exercise based loosely upon Tae Kwon do ?

My wife has the video somewhere I think.

I tried it once but kept tripping up over my hakama.

David.. stick to watching Bevis and Butthead on MTV, you might learn something.

"err err err.. you threatening me ? I need Tee Pee for my bumhole"

Jacques
01-25-2002, 02:08 AM
Jun, I wonder if you can transfer this thread to the Humour section. I think it has been wrongly submitted to the General section.

Tae Bo can actually be really dangerous. I have heard a rumour that the creator of Tae Bo had a rib broken in a kumite match in South Africa a decade or two ago, but please don't quote me on it.

Aikido greetings
Jacques

Thalib
01-25-2002, 02:22 AM
That black dude name is Billy Blanks.

He used to play a lot of those B-grade or C-grade martial arts action flicks...

Kami
01-25-2002, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by Thalib
That black dude name is Billy Blanks.

He used to play a lot of those B-grade or C-grade martial arts action flicks...

KAMI : Not just that. At the World Championships (1980), in Madrid, Spain, Pennsylvania's BILLY BLANKS defeated the spanish national champion, advancing to the finals, where he took a silver medal in the Openweight Class. Blanks then took a bronze medal in the 80 kg division, making him the only american double medal winner in world class amateur karate competition, at that time.
He later worked as an artist in many Martial Arts B-Movies and finally developed a system of body conditioning called Tae Bo, supposedly based on his martial arts knowledge.
He has been much criticized by what people feel as an overstimated value of Tae Bo as of real use in "real street situations"...I really doubt that part.
Best

cguzik
01-25-2002, 08:24 AM
I have been doing a lot of thinking and I have a brown belt in tae bo...

I think it's pretty cool that you can get a belt from Tae Bo... after losing all that weight in the program it sure beats buying new pants, right?

Jim ashby
01-25-2002, 03:46 PM
SO, David, you've been doing a lot of thinking. What with?