PDA

View Full Version : problems with wrists

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Gavin
06-02-2008, 10:29 AM
I keep on being told my my sensei that my wrists are too stiff and I should relax them, anyone got any suggestions or exercises to help me to acquire more flexible wrists
thanxs
Gav

CitoMaramba
06-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Try daily practice of the exercises shown here:
http://www.aikido-world.com/highlights/technical%20_tips/wrist-list.htm
Example:
http://www.aikido-world.com/highlights/technical%20_tips/pics/Ex-kotegaishi-topview3.GIF

d2l
06-02-2008, 07:23 PM
Thats just one of many ways. Now, I know it may sound crazy, or that it can't be done, but try doing push-ups on the backs of your hands. I know what you're thinking, "That's going to hurt!" Have your palms facing up, with your finger tips (facing eachother) pointed in-wards. Assume the push-up position with the backs of your hands right from the start. I promise you, it'll help strengthen, and yet help with flexibility in your writs. I learned this from the Dojo I go to. Remember, it's not your body, it's your mind. Good luck! :)

justin
06-04-2008, 03:50 AM
Thats just one of many ways. Now, I know it may sound crazy, or that it can't be done, but try doing push-ups on the backs of your hands. I know what you're thinking, "That's going to hurt!" Have your palms facing up, with your finger tips (facing eachother) pointed in-wards. Assume the push-up position with the backs of your hands right from the start. I promise you, it'll help strengthen, and yet help with flexibility in your writs. I learned this from the Dojo I go to. Remember, it's not your body, it's your mind. Good luck! :)

That is quite a dangerous exercise and requires a strong back and already fairly strong developed wrists IMO
If youíre going to try this I would suggest you stay on your knees and not assume the full push up position straight away
Build up to that one.

Also reading what you have asked your sensei is asking you to relax he didnít say your wrist are to stiff you need
To make them more flexible, maybe I am reading to much between the lines here but you might want to try and focus on being relaxed when you receive technique, something i myself struggle with daily.

Gavin
06-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Thanks for all your advice , i think justin hit the nail on the head, it is usually whilst recieving shiho nage that he comments about my 'stiff" wrists and that i should indeed relax,
easier said than done !

justin
06-04-2008, 05:25 PM
I know where your coming from my instructor puts it well i think, "you have to relax give your hand to your partner there going to put the technique on anyway so you might as well blend with it for your own sake" now i keep that in mind i am getting better SLOWLY less stiff anyway.