PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Budo Art Index?

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.

JamesC
05-26-2008, 01:02 PM
I'm curious if anyone can tell me where I might find an index or glossary of terms that are used periodically in the dojo.

I found one that was offered on the website but was hoping for something a little more in depth. Perhaps something with pictures or clips to go along with each technique, stance, drill, etc.

I'm still very new to the art and I very rarely have any idea what technique we are being told to practice when Sensei tells us.

Obviously he tells us what he is demonstrating, but I have usually forgotten the names by the time we drill them again.

Stefan Stenudd
05-26-2008, 07:28 PM
I am not sure if it is exactly what you look for, but I have an aikido glossary on my website, with short explanations of the aikido terms (and some general budo terms, as well):
http://www.stenudd.com/aikido/aikido-glossary.htm

I also have tables of the basic techniques, and their combinations with different attack forms, with some explanations. It starts here:
http://www.stenudd.com/aikido/aikidobasics.htm

The tables have links to videos, where there are any, and to written explanations, et cetera.

Bronson
05-27-2008, 01:56 AM
Hi James,

What you're looking for is going to be very style/affiliation dependent. Names of techniques and how they are performed vary so wildly from school to school that unless we know the lineage of your aikido there's no real way we can offer any help.

It's best to ask your instructor and the senior students in your dojo. They may know of resources that are tailored to exactly what and how you do it.

Bronson

Keith Larman
05-27-2008, 12:29 PM
...Obviously he tells us what he is demonstrating, but I have usually forgotten the names by the time we drill them again.

That's why I used to take notes after class... I still do, but the notes I take now are a lot different from 10 years ago. Writing it down makes a difference. And you can refer to it later.

JamesC
05-30-2008, 05:53 AM
Thanks Stefan :D

That was exactly what I was looking for.