PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on this

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Erik
01-18-2002, 11:26 AM
It's about a Karate test. Anyone care to comment?

http://www.sfgate.com/columnists/morford/

If the url changes, and it looks like it would when the next column hits, the title of the article is

Nice Girls Can't Punch
The violence and the poetry of a black-belt karate test, amidst much yelling

Edward
01-18-2002, 11:52 AM
Nice article!

I do share the author's opinion on Karate and all other punching and kicking martial arts.

Bias at black belt testing is not strange to Aikido. I've heard outrageous stories about this matter including gender discrimination or being student of a certain teacher or not having flattered the testing comittee enough...etc.

Cheers,
Edward

giriasis
01-18-2002, 12:03 PM
I can't believe that people would think that the female student was not treated any differently. From the article, it is clear that the "sensei's" only supported the male students. Their actions in themselves by sitting back and not encouraging her demonstrates blantant discrimination. Opinions otherwise, either are based some other facts that are not revealed in article, or those folks at the school are experiencing a serious case of denial.

I'm sorry but such behavior is just simply unethical. It's too bad the martial arts community doesn't have a Code of Ethics.

It's one thing to be hard on your students, to yell at them for encourage, but its another to not support your students in such a blatant and desrespectful manner.

I'm glad that woman left, that school did not deserve to be in her presence.

I am also glad that aikido discourages such machismo and displays of ego.

Anne Marie

daedalus
01-18-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Edward

I do share the author's opinion on Karate and all other punching and kicking martial arts.

What ever happened to "There are no bad martial arts, just bad martial artists"?

A lot of people get really angry on this board when people knock Aikido for being a dance for fairies. Don't you think karatedoka would be upset as being thought of focused on violence, testosterone, destruction, and a military mindset instead of simply pursuing the Way that happens to take a different turn than yours?

Just goes to show, everyone you meet *is* a mirror...

Greg Jennings
01-18-2002, 02:59 PM

I just hate it when someone in aikido says stuff like this....

CZR
01-18-2002, 07:20 PM
Agreed...

Edward
01-18-2002, 09:29 PM

Guys, I only said that I share the author's opinion. It seemed to me quite logical, and every person with some grey substance in his head should feel disgusted that such attitudes still exist in the 21 century.

I have defended the principle of not criticizing other martial arts several times on this forum, and have been insulted for that. Where have you been then? And why haven't you responded?

Cheers,
Edward