PDA

View Full Version : Enter the dragon

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Jamie_Macc
05-16-2008, 03:28 AM
What a film?? its great in my opinion.
If you have seen it there is a scene where they are doing kung fu and you can hear the gi snap back on their arms.

Just wondering if anyone had experienced this kinda thing because i think it was absolutely quality.

Jamie

justin
05-16-2008, 04:20 AM
Many moons ago it was all the rage to apply starch spray to your gi when entering karate kata tournaments to add that extra snap sound, totally agree though a classic film.

Bob Blackburn
05-16-2008, 07:37 AM
Definitely a classic. Still the standard that MA movies are compared against.

rob_liberti
05-16-2008, 08:09 AM
The mark of many new shodans is the nice "snap" they put into hitting their hakamas before sitting down into seiza.

When you do a thrust with the jo staff with your right hand on the back of it, you can get a great snap sound as your curling in right hand hits the slightly open part of your dogi.

Also, if your iaito blade is not perfectly snug and you have incredible hara for stopping very clean swings, you will ge a crowd pleasing "click" after each woosh... (and sword oriented folks think - nice form but you need to get that tightened up).

Rob

DonMagee
05-16-2008, 09:08 AM
I prefer the sound of struggle. Labored breathing, grunting, the cry of pain.

To me these are the things I like to hear.

I also enjoy the smell of a good work out, the sweat, the blood, etc.

I do like bruce lee movies though.

Marie Noelle Fequiere
05-16-2008, 12:11 PM
Karate being a striking art, instructors usually expect a student to be able to produce this snapping sound when they punch or kick by at least around purple belt, or even before. The snap is more easy to achieve when one wears a heavy gi, but if you are very good, you can do it even with a light gi. The starch might be necessary for the sound to be louder and more impressive for a movie, but you can hear it in any striking art dojo if you just pay a visit.

dragonteeth
05-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Also, if your iaito blade is not perfectly snug and you have incredible hara for stopping very clean swings, you will ge a crowd pleasing "click" after each woosh... (and sword oriented folks think - nice form but you need to get that tightened up).

Just shimmed an iaito yesterday to get rid of that very noise. Feeling that "sound" go up my arms grates on my nerves like nothing else! :)

ramenboy
05-16-2008, 01:35 PM
(and sword oriented folks think - nice form but you need to get that tightened up).

Rob

hahahahaha

:D

CitoMaramba
05-16-2008, 01:38 PM
The scene on the boat where Bruce Lee says his style is "Fighting without fighting" is based on a famous anecdote about the Japanese swordsman, Tsukahara Bokuden.

Also if you liked Enter the Dragon, you should watch the parody of it, "Fistful of Yen" in the Kentucky Fried Movie.. you'll split your sides laughing! :D

Aristeia
05-16-2008, 04:39 PM
The mark of many new shodans is the nice "snap" they put into hitting their hakamas before sitting down into seiza.
lol. I haven't worn a hakama for coming up three years and yet I still find myself dong the phantom hakama hit before kneeling on a mat.

gregg block
05-16-2008, 05:56 PM
A Great Movie.
And by the way. Bruce Lee was a great martial artist. His book the tao of JKD is probrably one of the best martial arts books ive ever read. You can tell by what he wrote that he understood combat at a very high level.

Mark Uttech
05-16-2008, 09:59 PM
Onegaishimasu. This is off-topic, a bit. I teach a children's class and one morning a little boy came into the dressing room wearing a t shirt with a dragon on it. I asked him, "do you believe in dragons?" he replied "yeah," wide-eyed. And then I said: "I don't believe in dragons. I believe in blackbirds." Surprisingly, he got it.

In gassho,

Mark

lbb
05-19-2008, 09:35 AM
Oooh, Enter the Dragon. I really, really love the part where he says, "Boooooards...don't hit back." When I first heard that, I bellowed, "Wow, that's deep!!!"

Serious never-been-said-before original wisdom in that movie. Really. No, really.

(And Inocencio, for pete's sake, don't go spoiling things with facts, okay?)

Chris Parkerson
05-19-2008, 11:34 AM
I prefer the sound of struggle. Labored breathing, grunting, the cry of pain.

To me these are the things I like to hear.

I also enjoy the smell of a good work out, the sweat, the blood, etc.

I do like bruce lee movies though.

Did you forget to mention liking the smell of napalm in the morning?

Just kidding..... I could not pass that one up.

Chris Parkerson
05-19-2008, 11:40 AM
A Great Movie.
And by the way. Bruce Lee was a great martial artist. His book the tao of JKD is probrably one of the best martial arts books ive ever read. You can tell by what he wrote that he understood combat at a very high level.

It is my understanding that portions of that book were taken from the Naval Academy boxing and fencing manuals.

Go figure....

CitoMaramba
05-19-2008, 02:28 PM
Watch for Sammo Hung as Bruce Lee's opponent in the sparring match at the start of the movie...
Also look for Jacky Chan as one of the thugs that attack the sister of Bruce Lee's character..

CitoMaramba
05-19-2008, 02:53 PM
"Fistful of Yen"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNCcUoA6MAI

HL1978
05-19-2008, 07:48 PM
All you have to do to get the gi to snap, is to pull back harder than you extended your punch or kick.

It does absolutely nothing to make your strike stronger, and if anything makes it weaker. On the other hand, when punching in air, it may stop you from hyper extending a joint.

Gernot Hassenpflug
05-20-2008, 12:31 AM
Back at the old dojo back home, there was a BB who would make the trousers of his dogi snap when he was practicing the horizontal airborne scissors takedown. Very impressive. When I asked how he did it without, uh, injury, he just smiled...

One day I realized his shoes were a few sizes smaller than mine.

Lyle Bogin
05-20-2008, 03:45 PM
Shi Yan Ming, 34th generation shaolin monk, can make his sneaker "pop" the air like whipping a towel when he does a lead leg roundhouse kick. It always impressed me. Once we were in Puerto Rico for a tournament and he asked me to go to breakfast with him. He admitted he was up all night with food poisoning and he said "I thought while I was sick, bruce lee died when he was 32, and now I will die at 32!"

It was a big thing for me when I passed Bruce Lee's permanent age.

I just read in the paper today that the story of his life and his "journey to the west" has been picked up for a broadway musical. I can't wait!!!!!!!!!

Stuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun dun dun *waaaaaaaaaaaaaah* (cue enter the dragon theme)