PDA

View Full Version : Martial Expeerience of Prewar Students

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

dps
05-07-2008, 05:47 AM
Was there any of O-Sensei's prewar students who did not know another martial art before they started learning Aikido?

David

Demetrio Cereijo
05-07-2008, 06:31 AM
Was there any of O-Sensei's prewar students who did not know another martial art before they started learning Aikido?

David

Maybe, but considering the japanese educative system at that time included martial arts training (mostly judo and kendo iirc) from early age, I think these pre-war students without martial arts background were few in numbers, if any.

CitoMaramba
05-07-2008, 07:31 AM
Miss Takako Kunigoshi may have been one of O-Sensei's prewar students to have come to the Kobukan without previous martial arts experience:
http://www.aikidojournal.com/article?articleID=613

Elijah211Barr
05-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Probably not very many. Budo is life.

crbateman
05-08-2008, 11:20 AM
I think there were few able-bodied individuals in Japan at that time who did not have some training in martial arts, as it is so much a part of the Japanese culture. Even the few female students must have had some awareness, if not formal training. I recommend Stan Pranin's book Aikido Masters for some good information about O'Sensei's students from that era.

aikispike
05-08-2008, 12:17 PM

Gozo Shioda was a third dan in Judo and Kendo.

Spike