PDA

View Full Version : Hakama Help

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Jamie_Macc
04-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Hi guys,
I was given permission to wear a hakama about two months ago and it has been good, have been able to tie it properly without it falling down and it stays up when doing 'big throwing techniques' (technical term).
But... when it comes to Hanmi-handachi techniques it gets bunched up under my feet and i cant do my shikko properly.
Has anybody had this problem before? and How did you fix it?

Many Thanks

Jamie

Kevin Leavitt
04-26-2008, 04:12 PM
maybe it is too long? does it extend below your ankles when standing straight?

maybe practice sitting in seiza a bunch in various ways practicing getting the hakama to hike up you legs to shorten it some before you sit down.

I think everyone has some trouble with this from time to time though!

Good luck!

dragonteeth
04-26-2008, 11:33 PM
Here's what works for me - please note YMMV...

As you are decending into seiza (about halfway down), reach between your legs with your right hand and gently push the fabric of the hakama outwards behind your knees, left then right. Don't bend over as you do this, and please don't "pop" the material (some consider this to be the extreme of boorishness). Once you are all the way down in seiza, if you have done this correctly you'll have this "butterfly" look with the excess material evenly spread out on either side yet the top remaining nice and smooth. You can always reach down and draw in the excess alongside your calves, especially if you are in line. However, check with your sensei as to whether sitting then tucking is preferred or if less fidgeting/leave it alone is the correct route.

Good luck!

Jamie_Macc
04-29-2008, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the help guys,
I think it may be a bit too long, i will give the bunching/butterfly technique a try.

Thanks a lot.