PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

ChrisFalco
04-22-2008, 02:46 PM
Hello, I just started Aikido, and have been looking through the wiki and a few other sources but there are a few things I'm having trouble finding that I would appreciate help with.

1) What EXACTLY is the ranking system, and how does one progress? What i know so far is that there are kyu, or white belt ranks, and then shodan, or black belt, going up to 8th dan.

2) How many hours per week do you think is needed for a steady increase in skill and to rank up in any sort of a timely fashion

3) Are there any Dojos in flint, michigan, because the one the search function shows has its website down and the email not working. I'm currently in grand Rapids, trainign at the Toyoda center, but every 3 months I switch between work and school (i.e between GR and Flint)

Joseph Madden
04-22-2008, 03:02 PM
Chris,
Here's a link to some terrific dojos around your area.

http://www.aikidoyoshokai.org/genyokan.htm

Kushida sensei taught my sensei, Kimeda when they first came to North America. In fact, the two of them are responsible for spreading
Yoshinkan aikido in N.A.

With regards to dan rank, expect to take classes for at least 5 years.
That's taking classes 3 to 5 times a week as well as going to various seminars etc. In Yoshinkan as well as Yoshokai, there is no fast track to dan ranking. You gotta pay your dues.

Osu:cool:

Ron Tisdale
04-22-2008, 03:12 PM
In fact, the two of them are responsible for spreading
Yoshinkan aikido in N.A.

Cough...Just the two of them? :D

B,
R

Erick Mead
04-22-2008, 03:42 PM
In fact, the two of them are responsible for spreading
Yoshinkan aikido in N.A.Cough...Just the two of them? :D
Two -- in North Alberta? Not that surprising ,.. it is a tough place up there...

ChrisFalco
04-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Oh I didn't expect it to be done fast, I just wanted a general timeline. Currently I'm scheduled for 2-3 classes a week (depends when i wake up saturdays)

Ron Tisdale
04-22-2008, 03:50 PM
Hey Chris, I had the same problem...but once I got addicted Sat. classes got much easier to make! ;)

Yoshokai is strong in that area...Kimeda Sensei taught my instructor as well. Good group of strong aikidoka out there.

Enjoy!
Ron

Joseph Madden
04-22-2008, 06:04 PM
Cough...Just the two of them? :D

B,
R

I stand corrected!:blush:

ChrisFalco
04-23-2008, 12:04 AM
Alright, well, hopefully i'll lose enough of my nocturnalness to wake up early enough for the third class.

Stefan Stenudd
04-23-2008, 04:27 AM
1) What EXACTLY is the ranking system, and how does one progress? What i know so far is that there are kyu, or white belt ranks, and then shodan, or black belt, going up to 8th dan.
2) How many hours per week do you think is needed for a steady increase in skill and to rank up in any sort of a timely fashion
About the grades: The rules differ slightly between organizations, sometimes also between dojos of the same organization. You need to check with your dojo.

About hours per week: For a beginner, I would say that classes twice a week is an absolute minimum. It would take far too long to progress with less training than that.
For students that are not beginners, less is possible but not that stimulating. In the long run, I would say that about three classes a week is fine.

SeiserL
04-23-2008, 06:16 AM
I just want to second everyone opinions and support the training.

Every system has their own ranking systems and timelines. The wiser (not more or harder) you train, the faster you progress. The fastest way is usually slow in the beginning.

I am a morning trainee. I find I don't have to totally wake up or want/feel like going to feel better afterwards. Its a sequential motivational strategy thing (looking forward to looking back).

Flint/Grand Blanc? I grew up in Pontiac. Spent some summers lifeguarding in Holly. My best friend was (he's dead now) from Flint/Swartz Creek. With the size of the city, you can find what you are looking for.

Welcome.