PDA

View Full Version : Help at the dojo

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

BC
01-10-2002, 01:06 AM
How much and to what extent does your dojo request your help or assistance? Does this cause problems with your personal life? Or does this represent your personal life?

Tim Griffiths
01-10-2002, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by BC
How much and to what extent does your dojo request your help or assistance? Does this cause problems with your personal life? Or does this represent your personal life?

Its a really wide spectrum. My current dojo require little
more than turning up to practice and helping with
the mat. About 10 years ago a club I visited regularly
was building a purpose-built dojo, and used mostly
the skill and time of the students (carpenters, plasterers
and sherpas). Other dojo's have a rota for weekend
dojo cleaning, or insistence on helping with demos.

It also depends a lot on how involved you are in the
dojo. If you train 3-4 times a week or more (if only
we had more classes) it's naturally going to take over
your social life as well, as you're spending a big
proportion of your free time with these people. If you
train once a week, if it isn't raining, and manage to
stop aikido taking over your life, not only will you have
more free time, but your dojo will probably expect less
from you as well.

Ways To Stop Aikido Taking Over Your Life:

1. Don't go to a dojo. In fact, don't go to anywhere that
reminds you of a dojo, like a transvestite club.

2. Resist the urge to have "Aikido", "Masakatsu Agatsu"
or "Go Ahead - Grab My Wrist" tattoed anywhere on
your body.

3. Have kids. Have lots of kids. Aikido will still take over
your life, but your life outside your kids will be so small
that you'll barely notice.

4. Avoid the AikiWeb forum and the aikido-l list. Although
these are great places to swap recepies, discuss
music and tell jokes, there is a risk of exposure to
aikido related arguments^H^H^H^H^H^H discussion.
Its just not worth it.

5. Don't talk about aikido. Don't even use aikido
terminology. Open your door with a Personalised
Portal Secuity Manual Override.

Tim

giriasis
01-10-2002, 09:16 AM
We are expected to sweep the mat after practice, and then if we are going to clean it we are expected to help with that too.

For our annual Winter Clinic, we are asked to help out. Sensei really appreciates it when we do, but it is up to each person to decide how much they want to help out.

Thalib
01-10-2002, 07:27 PM
I take it as part of my life. So I don't see it as a burden at all. I mean, if I'm too busy and can't make it to an aikido function, then I can't make it. I have other lives to lead also.

But I really do have a very high feeling of responsibility towards my dojo. I'm the dojo-cho (head of the dojo) after all.

Amendes
01-10-2002, 10:47 PM
At our dojo we are sometimes asked to help clean up if we are the last class.
Of course it is optional and you do not have to help.

However I have never missed helping out while being a closing class, since it only takes a few minutes.

I help when ever the opportunity presents itself because:

1. I get help from others frequently, weather it be in class or practising after class. It's the least I can do to repay the effort.

2. I take pride in my Dojo.

3. I don't think the the Sempi's who help teach classes should have to be left with cleaning since they are already volunteering and putting in so much time for us.

Anyways thats my stance on it, I think that if every student just put in 5 minutes a week to help out it woulden't exactaly be taking over their lives.

unsound000
01-11-2002, 02:16 PM
Regular weekend dojo cleaning would suck to me...
I just helped our dojo move buildings. It's looking to take one weekend and a couple of weekdays but this is pretty unusual. Usually, we are expected to do 1 or 2 demo's a year or a competition or 2. No big deal. If you can't make it than it's ok but you're expected to try.

Originally posted by Tim Griffiths

Other dojo's have a rota for weekend
dojo cleaning, or insistence on helping with demos.

It also depends a lot on how involved you are in the
dojo.
Tim

Mares
01-11-2002, 06:03 PM
We always do jobs before and after class. It takes about 5-10 minutes of everyones time and everything is done. It means that Sensei and the most senior sempai don't have to worry about such trivial matters, and it's up to the junior udansha or 1st kyus to organise the jobs and ensure they are done efficiently and correctly. Sensei considers it apart of your training and there is something to be learnt from it.

participation in seminars and demonstrations is voluntary but is encouraged, but I always try to attend because there is always so much to learn. Everyone is expected to attended Udansha gradings as well, especially 1st kyus and above. For me it is essential to attend a sempai's grading to show support for them.

guest1234
01-11-2002, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by unsound000
Regular weekend dojo cleaning would suck to me...
I just helped our dojo move buildings. It's looking to take one weekend and a couple of weekdays but this is pretty unusual. Usually, we are expected to do 1 or 2 demo's a year or a competition or 2. No big deal. If you can't make it than it's ok but you're expected to try.

So just how often does the dojo get cleaned then, and who does it?

I think if everyone cleans everyday in the dojo, it doesn't take long and the place stays nice. Even if I have to do it all by myself on the weekend, I think it is well worth it... I'm at a place now that doesn't like to clean, and won't let me do it either:( so I guess everyone has their own style... but it makes me sneeze a lot:rolleyes:

Chuck Clark
01-11-2002, 09:31 PM
Lots of students do not understand osoji. The same ones often have the inner attitude of "what can I get out of this...", instead of, "what can I do to help..."

It's been my experience that the students who take part in dojo osoji are the ones that learn the most.

Just the way it is.

Regards,

unsound000
01-13-2002, 04:10 AM
There is no formal time for the whole class. If Prof says, "Clean this please." Then we clean. Whoever. We clean the kamiza regularly as sign of respect. We pick up everything after we use it. Actually, the higher grade that you are, the more that you help out. Prof's Sokei cleans the most by far and I gradually am doing more for the dojo as I go up in rank I have noticed.

Originally posted by ca

So just how often does the dojo get cleaned then, and who does it?

I think if everyone cleans everyday in the dojo, it doesn't take long and the place stays nice. Even if I have to do it all by myself on the weekend, I think it is well worth it... I'm at a place now that doesn't like to clean, and won't let me do it either:( so I guess everyone has their own style... but it makes me sneeze a lot:rolleyes: