PDA

View Full Version : Aikido and heart illness

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Mattias Bengtsson
04-12-2008, 04:53 AM
A relative of mine is interested in picking up Aikido, mostly for exercise reasons but also because it looks fun.

However, his heart is not in the best of condition. He had a heart attack 20 years ago at a young age meaning he gave up smoking and became more mindful about food.

Recently he noticed he has had a cardiac disrhythmia which means he might have to go through a Bypass operation.

Basically what im wondering about is whether anyone have experience about training Aikido with heart problem or after a heart operation?

gyudien
04-12-2008, 09:48 AM
On the subject of Aikido and heart illness, I'd just note that effective July 1, 2007, all health clubs and health studios in California are required to have an automated external defibrillator (AED) program in place, as required in the California Health and Safety Code, Section 104113. We're being told by the California Emergency Services Authority that the definition of "health club" and "health studio" is broad enough to encompass martial arts dojos. ("any facility permitting the use of its facilities and equipment or access to its facilities and equipment, to individuals or groups for physical exercise, body building, reducing, figure development, fitness training, or any other similar purpose, on a membership basis.")

I'm curious about how dojos in California are reacting to this new law, and whether dojos in other locations are facing similar requirements.

Janet Rosen
04-12-2008, 11:43 AM
<nurse health education mode on>
First of all, disrhythmia is not an indication for a bypass. A bypass is a surgical intervention to deal with a blockage in an artery that supplies blood to the heart. Alterations in the rhythm of the heart are caused by electrical misfiring and are usually treated with either medication or an implanted pacemaker.
<nurse health education mode off> Now as to aikido....
After a person has been through any kind of medical treatment or surgical procedure, a plan for rehab should be developed with the doctor and physical therapist. There are certainly many people who have incorporated aikido into their lives after being both medically stable and physically rehabbed enough.

Mattias Bengtsson
04-12-2008, 01:45 PM
<nurse health education mode on>
First of all, disrhythmia is not an indication for a bypass. A bypass is a surgical intervention to deal with a blockage in an artery that supplies blood to the heart. Alterations in the rhythm of the heart are caused by electrical misfiring and are usually treated with either medication or an implanted pacemaker.
<nurse health education mode off> Now as to aikido....
After a person has been through any kind of medical treatment or surgical procedure, a plan for rehab should be developed with the doctor and physical therapist. There are certainly many people who have incorporated aikido into their lives after being both medically stable and physically rehabbed enough.

Thanks for the answer Janet. Yes, totally correct to point out that disrhythmia is not a cause for a bypass, im sorry for not explaining it properly. I dont know all the details but what I think happened was that the disrhythmia caused another condition or worsened another condition and it is that condition that was discovered and might require the bypass.

secondly, so its up to any doctors to give a green light first but generally it wouldnt be a problem but rather a good idea then?