PDA

View Full Version : aunkai article on aikidojournal.com

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

HL1978
04-04-2008, 02:11 PM
http://www.aikidojournal.com/article?articleID=699

feel free to discuss. Akuzawa sensei will be coming to the DC area at the end of May for a seminar. (http://aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13962)

David Orange
04-04-2008, 02:17 PM
http://www.aikidojournal.com/article?articleID=699

Great article by Tim. Very good job. He really brings out the meaning in that system in a clear way. Very interesting read...but is there supposed to be a photo section? Is there more to it?

David

Tim Fong
04-04-2008, 09:28 PM
David,

Thanks. Rob actually deserves a lot of credit as well for the article.

There are other parts to the article-- keep watching Aikido Journal =)

David Orange
04-05-2008, 10:31 AM
David,

Thanks. Rob actually deserves a lot of credit as well for the article.

There are other parts to the article-- keep watching Aikido Journal =)

Yeah, I noticed later that the by-line lists both of you. Was it that way when it was first posted?

Great explanations. I'll watch for the rest.

David

HL1978
04-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Yeah, I noticed later that the by-line lists both of you. Was it that way when it was first posted?

Great explanations. I'll watch for the rest.

David

I believe it was.

Shany
04-08-2008, 01:33 AM
It is a lie that a person must train for 20 years to even gain the basics of “high level” martial arts.

Of course it's a lie. one can become higher than dan ranked in a year or so. it's just that schools limit one's person with ranks/belt colors.

and about akunai, taking elements from all other martials arts has been done before. one of the famous is "Krav-Maga".

Josh Reyer
04-08-2008, 02:07 AM
Of course it's a lie. one can become higher than dan ranked in a year or so. it's just that schools limit one's person with ranks/belt colors.

They aren't talking about getting dan ranks. What they're talking about goes far beyond any ranking system.

Upyu
04-08-2008, 02:35 AM

and about akunai, taking elements from all other martials arts has been done before. one of the famous is "Krav-Maga".

I think that phrase might cause a mis-understanding for newbie as to what the Aunkai and Akuzawa is about.

More like he distills some of the common "higher level" bodyskills that are found in almost all asian arts (It's not in Krav Maga Shany, otherwise they'd be moving and executing their techniques a bit differently), which aren't always taught openly, and shows how to directly develop/train them.

Those bodyskills refer to manifesting "ki/kokyu" skills in technique in the Japanese paradigm, or Qi/Jin in the Chinese, although the terms get jumbled and confused a lot of the time.

Budd
04-08-2008, 10:05 AM
I think it points back to the issue where people still seem to get confused between "techniques" and "bodyskills" . . . *sigh*

Good article - enjoyed reading it. :)

ChrisMoses
04-08-2008, 11:13 AM

Yeah, you're missing the point. They're talking more about a quality of motion and not pure martial effectiveness or technique. It's about training the body to move differently. There's a thread up in the general area about the ambiguity of "connect to center". That's a good example of the kind of thing that this training helps. "Center to center contact" isn't an ambiguous term if you have the body skill to connect (I would say 'connect through') your center outwards. If you know how to do that and what it feels like, then you can start to connect into other people's center. Then "center to center contact" is a fairly specific concept. If you don't have something like the Aunkai methods, building those connections (if they ever happen) can indeed take a very long time. As has been pointed out however, it's not a shortcut. It's quite difficult (physically and mentally). I would offer the analogy of climbing. You can either spend all day winding around a groomed path to gain 1000 feet of elevation, or you can climb straight up the rock wall in 30 minutes.