PDA

View Full Version : Hajimemashite

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

chuunen baka
03-14-2008, 12:09 PM
Hi, all.

Yoroshiku onegai shimasu.

I'm not actually an active aikidoka but I was awarded a yellow belt over 30 years ago. In a fit of ageing angst, I started doing jujutsu which I find fun but a little brutal and, I think, brutalising.

So I find myself lurking here while dithering about carrying on the JJ for a couple of kyu or finding a suitable aikidojo. I can guess what folks on this site will say.

Funny, when I was a teen aikidoka, I didn't even know the name of the style I was studying and ki was rarely ever mentioned. Judging by some of the websites I've been surfing, modern styles seem much more concerned with ki than budo. No offence intended, but meditation and overt spirtuality stuff really doesn't appeal to me.

That said, I wonder if anyone here could recommend any nearby dojos? I live in Islington in inner north London.

Arigato gozaimasu

akiy
03-14-2008, 02:25 PM
Hi Alastair,

Welcome to AikiWeb and thank you for your introduction.

-- Jun

David Partington
03-14-2008, 04:54 PM
Hi Alastair,

The following link will help you search for aikido dojos near you.

http://www.bab.org.uk/club_directory/clubsearch_ukmap.asp

The following link will give info on each organisation in Britain.

http://www.bab.org.uk/associations/associations.asp

We're not all into meditation or the spiritual stuff - there are plenty of other styles out there.

Good luck.

Erick Mead
03-15-2008, 11:49 AM
Funny, when I was a teen aikidoka, I didn't even know the name of the style I was studying and ki was rarely ever mentioned. Judging by some of the websites I've been surfing, modern styles seem much more concerned with ki than budo. No offence intended, but meditation and overt spirituality stuff really doesn't appeal to me.FWIW, whatever spiritual benefit comes from developing Ki (and I will not suggest there is none), comes through actually creating the physical expression of it in the body effective for budo. So, no worries there, and let no one tell you different. In Japanese thought there is no separation of spirit (ki, kami, shin) from mono (thing, substance, physical reality). The body teaches the mind. And vice versa.

chuunen baka
10-09-2008, 05:30 AM
I'm not actually an active aikidoka but I was awarded a yellow belt over 30 years ago. In a fit of ageing angst, I started doing jujutsu which I find fun but a little brutal and, I think, brutalising.

So I find myself lurking here while dithering about carrying on the JJ for a couple of kyu or finding a suitable aikidojo. I can guess what folks on this site will say.
Well, when I first introduced myself I was a jujitsuka but now I'm back in the aikido fold. It was just a matter of time.

I stuck with the jujitsu for a year but their constant heavy duty, hip throw splat-on-the-mat style breakfalling was just too hard on my middle-aged body. More than that I was finding the whole thing too macho and aggressive. The last straw was being injured by a careless instructor on a course. (You can read the sorry details here (http://www.planetjitsu.com/viewtopic.php?t=16943))

I've found a good aikidojo with a no-nonsense approach and a nice bunch of people. Here's to some good training. Ganbatte!