PDA

View Full Version : Is this Aiki ??? The Chinese Version...

Please visit our sponsor:

Blake Holtzen
03-13-2008, 03:13 PM
Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbGJUdbqWVo

This is Sifu Kam Tung (or if you remember him from old kung fu movies, Cliff Lok). He is demonstrating an app from an internal martial art called "Liu He Ba Fa." What I like about this is that he is taking a basic technique and "powering" it with aiki (or in this case "jin").

Notice the how the "dummy" in the app is forced offbalance and either up on his toes (like aiki-age?) or down (like aiki-nage?)

Anyway, me likes this....too bad he is in Hong Kong :(

Any thought???

-Blake

Michael Douglas
03-27-2008, 02:41 PM
Thanks Blake.
All this time and no comments?

I love the helpful little hoppitys done by the guy in blue. He was fascinating to watch simple because he has absolutely no chin! None at all! That's amazing!

Ron Tisdale
03-27-2008, 02:46 PM
Down would be aiki-sage...not nage...I believe...

Best,

Ron

Chris Parkerson
04-21-2008, 10:39 PM
Blake,

I saw this a few weeks ago and started tinkering with it. Getting some success too. Watch his hands. Roppokai's six directions that help you "push from behind". Next think of generating momentum via sequential relaxation. Finally, yes there is some trick to it as well... Uke is directed to take some very specific stances. In my own tradition, I can see why but to explain it would require uploading you with some terms and definitions that are specific to our Koryu. If I knew other terms I would give an explanation a try. Perhaps off line.

dragonteeth
04-22-2008, 06:55 AM
Thanks Blake.
He was fascinating to watch simple because he has absolutely no chin! None at all! That's amazing!

I've seen that several times, Michael. There are a few genetic issues that can cause that, but I'd be willing to bet very good money he had a really nasty trauma to his lower jaw as a young child. That can stop growth entirely either on both sides (in this case) or just on one side.

Obviously that never happened to Jay Leno! :p

Cool technique. I'd love to see what it feels like.