PDA

View Full Version : print gi tops

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Mary Eastland
03-06-2008, 03:43 PM
Does anybody know where I can find print gi tops?
Mary

dragonteeth
03-06-2008, 08:26 PM
What kind of print are you looking for? Both Bugei Trading and Tozando carry kendo uniform jackets with the Musashi print, which is a geometric pattern. Asian World of Martial Arts has a light weight camo gi for a demo team, but at 6 oz I wouldn't think it would hold up well in aikido. Ki International has a stars and stripes top.

I'm sure that a number of the online tailors that make custom clothing for re-enactment and medieval faires would be able to take a fabric of your choice and come up with something decent, especially if you sent them a gi that you have worn in the past for a pattern. Kyotokimono.com makes custom haori and hakama, so I would guess they would be a good place to start for something truly custom.

Good luck, and post a picture if you do something unique!

Lori

jennifer paige smith
03-08-2008, 12:55 AM
What kind of prints are you looking for?

I have had Gi jackets sewn out of fabric that was chosen from a fabric store and then stitched by a seamstress. They came out beautifully.
I have also found beautiful jackets in second hand/vintage stores. You can check out one of them on my icon photo.
Good Luck,
Jen

Kent Enfield
03-08-2008, 05:03 AM
Both Bugei Trading and Tozando carry kendo uniform jackets with the Musashi print, which is a geometric pattern.Actually, it's not. The "musashi" in "musashi keikogi" means "without stitching", referring to a lack of thick cross-stitch typical of kendogi and judogi. The diamond patterns on typical musashi keikogi are stitched in, not printed on.

Mary Eastland
03-08-2008, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the replys. I saw yours Jen...I would love one. I am going to ask on of my friends who sews to make one for me.
thank Mary

dragonteeth
03-08-2008, 04:05 PM
*shrug* Sorry Kent I don't practice kendo so I've only seen one up close, apparently a cheap knockoff as it was obviously screen printed rather than stitched (and it was cracking/peeling off). None of the online shops indicated specifically that the pattern itself was stitched, so I erroneously assumed they were all print. My bad! Now I know better!

Thanks!

Lori