PDA

View Full Version : Hello and Advice Required Please

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

sibex
02-29-2008, 02:28 AM
Hi all,

My name is Simon. I live near Northwich in Cheshire. I am looking to take up Aikido but know very little about it and where the best clubs are based.

I practiced Wing Chun years ago but done nothing for quite a while. As I am now a little older now (39) I thought Aikido may be something worth considering.

Any advice or information about what I should expect and what i should look for in a club and indeed where the best clubs are would be appreciated.

many thanks in advance,

Simon.

Aristeia
02-29-2008, 03:37 AM
Hi Simon
I would start the other way around and ask what are you looking for in a club? What are you looking to get out of it? What attracted you to Aikido in particular?

sibex
02-29-2008, 03:58 AM
Michael,

thank you for your reply.

I am basically looking for a friendly club that welcomes people into it. I just like the look of Aikido. Im not the biggest or strongest person and also, as I am getting a little older, the high impact stuff like karate are appeal less and less. Aikido, while still physically demanding, looks a lot more 'measured', i guess is the word... Although I may be wrong.

I want to get physically fit again and learn some new skills.

EMarkM
03-01-2008, 05:52 AM
Hullo Simon.

I'm in roughly the same boat as you, and have been recommended the Macclesfield club that now meets twice a week at the new JJB sports centre there (it's actually an old club that has been established elsewhere in the town for some time).

I've not started yet: few things I need to sort out first. There's a little more information from one of the members, Jamie, on my "Cheshire" thread which is now on page 2 of this intro bit of the forum.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on!

Mark

David Partington
03-02-2008, 03:23 PM
Hi Simon,

Firstly, I practice in Reading and so have no knowledge of clubs in Cheshire however, the following link:

http://www.bab.org.uk/club_directory/clubscounty.asp?county=Cheshire

will take you to a list of clubs in the Cheshire region all affiliated to the British Aikido Board.

Be aware that there are numerous styles of Aikido, just like Kung Fu. Some styles emphasise weapons as much as the unarmed stuff, others don't. Some styles have competition although it is not mandatory to participate. Some styles are really martial looking, others appear to be no more than co-ordinated dance. It depends what you are looking for.

Because of this I would observe a class before participating and try to talk to the sensei and senior students as much as possible to get a feel for the club. Most clubs will have some kind of introductory offer or beginner course that you could attend before deciding to become a member. Again, this is something I would also advise you to do as it is one thing to observe but quite another to be on the receiving end of a well executed nikyo or sankyo for the first time!

Best of luck.