PDA

View Full Version : Bujin Gis

Please visit our sponsor:

Ed Stansfield
02-27-2008, 03:21 PM
Hello,

I'm thinking of buying one of the heavy weight aikido gis from Bujin.

I'm conscious of all the warnings that THESE GIS DON'T SHRINK.

In terms of chest and waist measurements, I'm right on the border between their small and medium sizes.

Normally I'd just go for the bigger size without worrying too much, but apparently THESE GIS DON'T SHRINK ;)

Does anyone who's bought the small or medium gis from Bujin have a view on the matter?

Any advice gratefully received...

Best,

Ed

Jonathan Lewis
02-27-2008, 03:44 PM
Personally I always go for the larger size. Sleeves can always be shortened but a tight fit gets in the way of movement.

gdandscompserv
02-27-2008, 04:04 PM
I find them to be a little on the short side.

dragonteeth
02-28-2008, 08:43 PM
I have two Bujin gi. The pants of my first one have shrank about 1/2 inch in length after washing them in warm water and drying them in the dryer twice a week for a year and a half. I can't tell if the jacket has changed at all but it doesn't feel like it. Honestly, I liked the first one so much that when I decided to buy the second one, going back for another Bujin was a no brainer. Just don't use fabric softener with the jacket - it does ruin the cool max lining. They also warn against bleach, but I bleach mine every other wash, and have seen no breakdown at all.

Hope that helps...
Lori

giriasis
02-28-2008, 08:58 PM
I have two Bujin gi and pants. I wash them in cold water and dry on hot. I have not notice any noticeable shrinkage over the past two to three years that I have owned them.

In terms of sizes their sizing charts are very accurate so you can trust them. I wear the large women's gi top and the medium gi pants. You get a very roomy fit with them. You might be okay with the smaller size, but call them up and they will be more than willing to answer your questions.

Anja Lampert
03-14-2008, 06:13 AM
Just wondering if anyone of you girls out there has ever tried one of the women's jackets? Just saw them on the bujin website.... Do they really fit better?

HarlieG
03-14-2008, 06:47 AM
Yeah...I use the women's jackets ever since they started making them. To be honest, some are better made than others I've gotten, but in general, they do fit better and don't tend to gap open.

Also, I don't care what they say on their website, they do shrink over time....just not as dramatic as some of the judo gis I've had....I'd buy larger and roll up the sleeves and pants until they shrink up.

Anja Lampert
03-14-2008, 07:05 AM
Thanks for your advice, Donna! Looks like I will have to try one of the jackets, just hope they ship to Europe as well!

Anja Lampert
03-16-2008, 02:22 PM
Just another question - do you use medium or heavyweight jackets?

giriasis
03-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Living in Florida, I get the medium weight jackets.

dragonteeth
03-16-2008, 04:46 PM
I use the heavyweight without a problem, even in humid Virginia summers. It stands away from my body very nicely, and doesn't cling like the really light weight gi some of my dojomates wear. I haven't tried the lighter weight Bujin so I can't compare it.

Randy Sexton
03-17-2008, 05:59 AM
I bought my first Bujin GI this Fall and had to return it for a larger size. According to the chart I was on the border of large/x-large.
The large was a no way and the x-large fit well. I would always go for the larger size if you are on the border. It fits well and looks really nice. Excellent elbow and knee padding. Love the belt buckle fastener. Quick and easy and no loosening of the belt.:cool:
I recently bought my second GI from them. I struggled with that because the GI are really nice but pricey. However, my sensei and some of my dojo mates have worn their GI for years. I figured better go for the quality. Cheaper things are available but the quality shows. I live in South Carolina so I go for the medium weight instead of heavy. By the way Bujin personnel are great to work with and my return was quick and no cost. I also washed them a few times (using cold/cold and hang to dry) and took them for alteration to cut the sleeves to where I like them and the pants so they don't show below my Hakama. Good luck! :cool: