PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Toyoda Sensei

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

BC
02-21-2008, 02:39 PM
Does anyone know how old Stephen Toyoda, Fumio Toyoda's son, is?

MikeE
02-21-2008, 02:50 PM
Hi Robert,

After seeing the same article you must have seen, I have the same question.

Keith
02-21-2008, 09:54 PM
Does anyone know how old Stephen Toyoda, Fumio Toyoda's son, is?
According to a newspaper article I just read, he's 26.

BC
02-24-2008, 11:01 AM
This article?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-rape_karatefeb20,1,2143326.story?track=rss

aikidoc
02-24-2008, 11:21 PM
Ouch!

He is the director of the AAA. If he gets convicted that could definitely hurt the organization. I never really met him since I left AAA soon after he took over.

Marc Abrams
02-25-2008, 08:50 AM
The article talked about a karate instructor. Does anyone know if that person is the same person as Toyoda's son?

Marc Abrams

aikidoc
02-25-2008, 08:54 AM
I think the article is a mis-print. Newspapers often put all martial arts in the karate category. From what I know of his age and everything it should have read aikido instructor.

ramenboy
02-25-2008, 02:08 PM
The article talked about a karate instructor. Does anyone know if that person is the same person as Toyoda's son?

Marc Abrams

its actually probably good that its written that way... in our area in chicago, there's maybe 5 really good quality aikido dojo. all all would i'm sure experience some 'radiation fallout' if the story was written 'correctly'

kironin
02-26-2008, 08:42 AM
He struck me as way too immature in his aikido to be thrust in a leadership position when I met him at a seminar after Toyoda Sensei's passing away when Andy Sato Sensei was still in charge of instruction at AAA.

This is a very sad development.

Marc Abrams
02-26-2008, 09:36 AM
If the person who was arrested is the son of Toyoda Sensei, then I feel sorry for his family and the organization.

We must be careful to assess the responsibility of those who teach our children. Power without personal integrity, character and responsibility is a dangerous thing.

As a parent, I know how scary the world is when our children become teenagers and place themselves in situations that they believe that they can handle it. As a parent, I would want that instructor's cajones removed and the sac filled with hot tar evileyes .

Marc Abrams

JAMJTX
02-26-2008, 11:33 AM
I came here to confirm the same story, hoping to find that the "karate" teacher was a different Stephen Toyoda. Even though I knew it was him.

Even if he's not convicted it's still a sad story, for the girl, his family, the AAA and Aikido.

gcostaki
02-26-2008, 02:11 PM
Does anyone know what the current status of the dojo is?
Moreover, are classes being conducted, etc?

crbateman
02-26-2008, 07:14 PM
This is a sad situation. It clearly illustrates that society in general places a higher moral imperative on MA instructors, just as it does others in positions of authority. This instructor is not the first to experience this, and he won't be the last. I hope the organization, for the sake of those within it, can endure this painful episode.

David Yap
02-26-2008, 08:38 PM
its actually probably good that its written that way... in our area in chicago, there's maybe 5 really good quality aikido dojo. all all would i'm sure experience some 'radiation fallout' if the story was written 'correctly'

Hi Jerome,

You are reacting from the "Better you than me" syndrome. Think of the 10 other good quality karate dojo affected by the 'radiation fallout'.

I agree with Clark. This, indeed is a sad situation affecting all MA instructors not just aikido.

Many years ago, I witnessed a sexual abuse that took place during the class itself. The students in their after-class drinks even joked that there was (is) another purpose for wearing the loose & baggy hakama. Our one and only fellow student of the opposite sex never came back to class again. One of the guys who was then her college mate rang her and she said that she would never attend another aikido class after the "disgusting" experience with sensei.

Shame.

David Y

SeiserL
02-27-2008, 07:12 AM
Budo is much more than just the way we move in class.
Its about having class.
A sad lesson/reminder for us all.

Robert Jackson
02-27-2008, 08:48 AM
It is the same Toyoda that's currently director of AAA. (I previously heard of him facing felony charges and this article confirms it.)

It is important to remember these are still just allegations and details of the assault aren't released. He has yet to be proven guilty and is thus still innocent.

BC
02-27-2008, 08:52 AM
The article has been corrected today to remove the reference to karate:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-rape_karatefeb20,0,7730162,print.story

BC
02-27-2008, 08:54 AM
Even if he's not convicted it's still a sad story, for the girl, his family, the AAA and Aikido.

I would say it is much sadder for the girl and HER family than the other parties involved.

svetadz
02-27-2008, 12:20 PM
If the person who was arrested is the son of Toyoda Sensei, then I feel sorry for his family and the organization.

We must be careful to assess the responsibility of those who teach our children. Power without personal integrity, character and responsibility is a dangerous thing.

As a parent, I know how scary the world is when our children become teenagers and place themselves in situations that they believe that they can handle it. As a parent, I would want that instructor's cajones removed and the sac filled with hot tar evileyes .

Marc Abrams
I know Toyoda Sensei for several years, and I know the girl; this accusation is a deliberate lie; it was absolutely impossible for such an act to happen, besides, there were always 15-20 people around.

akiy
02-27-2008, 01:34 PM
Hi folks,

Before things get out-of-hand here, I'd like to step in and remind people that the person in question has only been charged with the crime rather than found guilty. Let's try to maintain the maxim of "innocent until proven guilty" as well as we can when we discuss this particular situation.

I certainly don't know the specifics of the case at this point (outside of what was written in the article posted above), but let's please keep the discussion civil and respectful to those involved.

Thanks,

-- Jun

aikidoc
02-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Jun is correct. Allegations without proof can unfortunately be the death roll of a person's career. The article contends they were caught in the act. If so, it gets to witness credibility issues. Someone's advances could have been rejected by the instructor and this could be an act of retribution. It is a good reminder to keep oneself out of potentially questionable situations when around minors. Appearances can be misinterpreted.

crbateman
02-27-2008, 06:55 PM
True. Please accept my earlier statement with the caveat "If he is determined to be guilty...". I perhaps have given too much creedance to the information that there was a witness. My blanket statement that MA instructors are held to a higher than normal moral expectation is valid regardless of guilt or innocence, however.

Marc Abrams
02-27-2008, 08:40 PM
Svetlana:

I think that you need to read my post again. I did not say that this man was guilty of anything. As a matter of fact, I expressed sorrow for his family and the organization. I also expressed my opinion as to how a parent may feel anger and want the instructor to suffer.

You, nor I know what did or did not happen. That is for the court to decide (as if the court is an ultimate arbiter of "truth"). Jun is correct in pointing out that a person is presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Clark's comment about being held to higher standards is absolutely correct. I have coached children's sports, work with all ages as a psychologist, taught at an undergraduate and graduate level and now teach martial arts to children, teens and adults. In all of those endeavors, I have knowingly accepted the "higher" standards that others would place on me and not onto themselves. When we allow ourselves to function in relationships in which we have a greater degree of power/authority over others, we should be held to a higher standard. The "intoxication" of power works on both sides of an inequitable relationship. Some people try and get intimate with a person of "higher power" and some people try and get intimate with a person of "lesser power." It requires a great deal of integrity and diligence to see to it that relationships maintain proper boundaries.

This situation is simply unfortunate for all involved. Nothing good can come from this.

Marc Abrams

Lacoste
07-22-2008, 10:50 PM
Does anyone know the current status of this case? Was he prosecuted, or were charges dropped?

Thanks,

Lacoste

Williamross77
03-22-2013, 05:41 PM
Well Sensei Toyoda is teaching and I trust him around my 14year old daughter . So that was years ago and now btw, and just hoped to leave a note...EXONERATED. :)

Michael Black
05-24-2015, 08:23 PM
I know the truth and I have the proof.

Michael Black
05-24-2015, 11:36 PM
Have a nice day.

Michael Black
05-24-2015, 11:44 PM
:)

Walter Martindale
05-25-2015, 07:09 AM
Thread is from 2008... so That's why the Chicago Trib article is "not found"...

Mary Eastland
05-25-2015, 07:14 AM
There is a copy of it on the budo thread if you search for his name.

Williamross77
05-25-2015, 09:30 AM
:confused: At Mr Black...In all respect...are you stating on this page that you have proof of a crime that you have not given to authorities? If so that is a crime in of it's self. If it is so, why have you not given such proof to authorities? Or is there some other reason there have been multiple cameras installed in the AAA Tenshinkan in Chicago? Why is there such extensive attention given now to secure student privacy and the ability to pull tapes and such. Why in such a day and age when this allegation type is so scrutinized is there no more to this now in 2015? Just questions and not attacking your side, just wondering what you mean by proof? because like I said, if you do you are obligated by child protection laws to offer or face prosecution yourself. in :ai: :ki: :)

Michael Black
05-25-2015, 10:36 AM
:confused: At Mr Black...In all respect...are you stating on this page that you have proof of a crime that you have not given to authorities? If so that is a crime in of it's self. If it is so, why have you not given such proof to authorities? Or is there some other reason there have been multiple cameras installed in the AAA Tenshinkan in Chicago? Why is there such extensive attention given now to secure student privacy and the ability to pull tapes and such. Why in such a day and age when this allegation type is so scrutinized is there no more to this now in 2015? Just questions and not attacking your side, just wondering what you mean by proof? because like I said, if you do you are obligated by child protection laws to offer or face prosecution yourself. in :ai: :ki: :)

Bill anyone can find the result just by going on Cook County Court records. That is what no one seems to have done. Bill I was a member since 1991 and the victim was my student.

Williamross77
05-25-2015, 11:29 AM
Thank you for your account, as of yet there are no complaints at this point and As i viewed your history in training and education (impressive). Yet i am confused still, as to the timing of this post? years past and I stated mater of fact that you said proof and no conviction? just in louisiana we seem to be able to keep track of those who act and found guilty.
http://www.icrimewatch.net/index.php?AgencyID=54078
I guess what I should have asked? Do you have some proof of a cover up? A payoff? I mean in the best possible respectful way...why are there more post about the "victim " being not as trust worthy? I am really confused as to your timing? maybe you just saw the post from years ago? In any light, best to you in training as I assume you wish us in Shreveport.:confused: :circle: maybe you wish us to join AWA? because AAA has been the biggest help to my mission to spread Aikido to the cultural dessert of north Louisiana.
http://www.homefacts.com/offenders/Illinois/Cook-County.html
anyone can check?

Michael Black
05-25-2015, 12:02 PM
Bill I know the timing seems bad but there is no statue of limitations as to finding and revealing the truth about anything. I am not as interested in shaming ST as I am interested in getting my good name exonerated from this 7 years and counting bad dream. The victim has had a horrible time adjusting to this and has done so in private. Please feel free to find me to email me at aikidocenter@gmail.com if you want the whole story. No I am not asking that anyone leave ST or AAA as he deserves a chance to bounce back from this. But I refuse to let my good name be tossed around like cannon fodder by anyone in this country. Rant over. lol

Michael Black
05-25-2015, 12:06 PM
By the way…Keep up the great work you are doing in Louisiana and remember that you may or may not need an organization to help you since you are the one doing the work. This comes from someone who has been a part of organizations for more than 35 years. There are plenty of people out there who can and will help you without putting any pressure on you to do it "Their way" or involving any exchange of money. Of course thank God we have choices in our life.

Williamross77
05-26-2015, 02:14 PM
Thank you