PDA

View Full Version : Gi shopping in Japan?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

RoyK
02-23-2008, 09:13 AM
Hi, I will be travelling to Japan next month (2 weeks of travel, one week of Aikido practice), and I want to purchase a high quality Gi while I'm there, as they're hard to come by in Israel.
I'll be in Tokyo, Kyoto and Fukuoka. Any suggestions for a place to purchase/order from high quality Gis?

thanks!

Nafis Zahir
02-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Kyoto - Check out Tozando. Website www.tozando.com

asiawide
02-23-2008, 06:10 PM
Tozando is near the famous travel spot 'Nijo Jo'(Nijo Castle) in Kyoto. You can take a bus from Nijojo to get to Tozando. It will take less than 15 mins. It's on the beside of small road. Easy to find. :)

Jaemin

RoyK
02-24-2008, 05:37 AM
So that's two votes for Tozando, huh? Sounds promising!
I checked out the website and there's a huge price margin between the "best gi" and the "second best". Any suggestions as to what's the best quality to price ratio gi?

Joe Bowen
02-24-2008, 07:30 AM
If you are going to be in Tokyo you should stop by the Iwata Shop in Shinjuku just south of the Little Korea town there. Here is the website:
http://www.alpha-net.ne.jp/users2/iwataco/frame2e.html

They make and sell a wide variety of quality martial arts equipment to include 3 different quality levels of Keikogi.
I highly recommend them. It is a nice family run organization.

Tozando also gets a good thumbs up from me. My first hakama was a tozando hakama and I'm still using it ocassionally swapping it out with my Iwata hakama. Both good outfits.....

Bronson
02-24-2008, 10:21 PM
If you are going to be in Tokyo you should stop by the Iwata Shop in Shinjuku just south of the Little Korea town there. Here is the website:
http://www.alpha-net.ne.jp/users2/iwataco/frame2e.html

Ah, I couldn't remember the name. Some friends of mine did a Japan training trip and they said their experience with Iwata was fantastic.

Bronson

David Partington
02-25-2008, 03:17 PM
Iwata seem to be good but I only have experience of hakama buying. Try NOT to pay with credit card as they add an extra 5% onto the bill, on top of the consumption tax!

Another family run business in Tokyo is located at the exit of the Mita Line (subway) Suidobashi station. Just turn right! The shop is on Hakusan Dori opposite the Tokyo Dome Hotel and theme park complex. If you walk another 100m there is a Kendo/Iaido shop which also sells bokken, jo, videos etc.. Neither shop has a website. Walk a further 500m (approx) and you come to the Kodokan (Judo HQ).

I got a size 5 heavy gi for 10,000Yen (without belt) in December this year. They embroider your name on the gi top in katakana script for free if you ask (and you know how to write it) and will do your trousers if you ask again really nicely! ;) They also sell bokken & hakama.

rulemaker
02-26-2008, 07:12 AM
Try also the following store in tokyo:

Sakuraya Budo Shop - Kodanshita Station near the Nippon Budokan and Yasukuni Shrine.

www.sakuraya.org

Owner speak good english.

rulemaker
02-26-2008, 07:13 AM
http://budostuff.com