PDA

View Full Version : Healing?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Xing
01-26-2008, 10:27 PM
Hi all, I'm still a beginner here, ~1 month of classes now.:p

The other day, Wednesday I believe, we were learning Yonkyo I believe? (the sword grip on the ulna nerve) and the next day my arms were quite amazing with multiple black and purple bruises (6 on the right and 3 on the left >_>), it didn't help that on Friday we did Sankyo? (Wrist grip, thumb on the pulse) which made the bruises even bigger xD.

I was wondering, is there an effective method of speeding up the bruising and healing process, or just enough to get rid of the colouring?

I ask this as I work in a sort of health profession (intern) and being summer I'll be wearing short sleeves, and I don't think it's appropriate to greet patients with severe bruises on my arm >_> :(

Thanks.

SeiserL
01-27-2008, 01:12 AM
There are some herbal liniment (like Dit Da Jaw) that are useful. Ice often helps too.

IMHO, if you are bruised too much, ask your training partners to ease up until your arm is a bit more conditioned.

Most of us have gone through this.

Amir Krause
01-27-2008, 01:29 AM
I have never been bruised by greeps, nor seen any of my dojo mates in such a situation. Definitly not after practicing these techniques.

I suggest you make sure it is not indicative of some medical problem you may have (blood clotting ???). Ask your dojo mates if others have a similar situation and if not, go and see a doctor.

Amir

crbateman
01-27-2008, 05:02 AM
Some people are more prone to bruising than others, but if you were such a person, I suspect you would have already been aware of it. However, you cannot "train yourself" to bruise less, so I would consult your doctor if you think it is excessive.

John Connolly
01-27-2008, 06:43 AM
If you make a strong tea of Arnica flowers. Do not drink the tea, but soak a cloth with it and place it on the affected area. It (in my experience) has cut down the healing/disappearing time of bruises by 1/2. You can find it at some health food markets and almost any botanica (essentially a Santaria shop).

Stephen Webb
01-27-2008, 11:32 AM
I have never been bruised by greeps, nor seen any of my dojo mates in such a situation. Definitly not after practicing these techniques.

I suggest you make sure it is not indicative of some medical problem you may have (blood clotting ???). Ask your dojo mates if others have a similar situation and if not, go and see a doctor.

Amir

I don't know about others, but yonkyo practice usually lasts about fifteen minutes and concludes with my having giant thumb-shaped bruises on both my forearms.

Sankyo, though, I've never been bruised from. Perhaps it's a different way of doing sankyo?

Xing
01-28-2008, 01:42 AM
When I first started, the second lesson happened to be Yonkyo >_> but my arms were only feeling a bit sore/raw.

The bruises are a first >_>.

But I think I can try the Metal Hit Alcohol although it smells >_> (I pronounce it as Tit Da Jow, or something along the lines of it, my dad makes his own >_>).

Thanks all.

CarrieP
01-29-2008, 08:24 AM
Can't go wrong with RICE.

Not the starch, but Rest Ice, Compression, Elevation.

Faith Hansen
01-29-2008, 04:14 PM
I like Arnica in the spray version. Works pretty well. Also if you take Bromelain (pineapple extract) on an empty stomach it helps heal bruises faster.

Lyle Bogin
01-29-2008, 05:13 PM
Most studies on the effectiveness of topicals suggest that it is the massaging/application process that provides the majority of the benefit. Moisturizer works as well as dit da jow...except for the warm feeling on the outer dermis which is superficial but always makes me feel like it's working.

You can do a killer yonkyo without leaving an aweful bruise.

lbb
01-29-2008, 05:18 PM
Lyle, I think there's also something to the fact that a lot of topicals contain irritants. This increases circulation to the injured area, and that certainly does help in healing.

cserrit
01-29-2008, 05:52 PM
When I use to wrestle and lost the 10-15 lbs that came with the training, I would bruise like a ripe peach...I read somewhere that potassium would help take care of the bruises...ate some bananas and took potassium supplements the problem became minimal.

Today, I don't bruise easily (takes a brute with a he-man grip to usually make anything show up). :D

Just my 2

-C

aikidoc
01-30-2008, 04:45 PM
If you bruise easily, you might want to find out why. I have used kinesiotaping to remove large bruises rapidly. It has to be taped in a certain way but I have seen bruises resolve on an older lady within a week and her whole arm was black. I was actually quite suprised how well it worked. Dit da jow is also used by some to remove the bruising. Also, you might ask your partners to lighten up a bit.

If you are taking any blood thinning agents like aspirin that can cause easy bruising as well.

Pauliina Lievonen
01-30-2008, 06:52 PM
I haven't had a lot of luck with other topical stuff but arnica does seem to help my bruises disappear more quickly.

kvaak
Pauliina

boyana
02-11-2008, 01:58 AM
At one stage in my life I had some problems.
I remember a lots of brusing at the time.
Since then,never again.Could be in my case problems?

crbateman
02-11-2008, 04:31 PM
At one stage in my life I had some problems.
I remember a lots of brusing at the time.
Since then,never again.Could be in my case problems?Possibly at that time. If it doesn't happen any more, I wouldn't let it worry you.