PDA

View Full Version : Hi!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

yogachick
12-31-2007, 07:56 PM
Hi!

I know this must seem like a New Years Resolution kind of thing, but it isn't - I've been researching different MA for months now, and have finally settled on Aikido, which has been recommended to me by several people at my yoga studio. Also, having watched some documentaries and reading some books, I have to say, I really like the idea of Aikido.

Hmmmm.... let's see.... I'm 25 and have been teaching yoga for almost 3 years now, practicing since I was a teenager. I have a background in Eastern Philosophy/Religion, and see the Eastern Arts like yoga and martial arts as a lifestyle, not just something to do but something to be, if that makes sense.

Actually, I have to say, your forums here on aikiweb, though filled with some crazyness, helped me to choose aikido out of all the many possibilities. As a yoga instructor, I relate a lot to some of the discussions on teaching, and I found the "instructors dating students" posts - i dunno, at the risk of offending ppl - mildly entertaining (tho a few posts I found disturbing), as i've been there as a yoga instructor/student. Also, I found your discussions on what Aikido means, not just on the mat, but off the mat as well, incredibly helpful in deciding on Aikido as a path - I think I can learn a lot from this practice/art/philosophy.

Anyway, I've found a studio with a sensei who has an incredible bio here in, though I haven't met him yet, and I won't attend class till a little bit into the new year. I can't wait to incorporate Aikido into my conciousness/life in the years to come, and I thank you all for introducing me to something I know will be wonderful.

Peace,
Emily

PS. I have spent a lot of time thinking about incorporating a MA into my life - obviously yoga is, right now, the most important thing in my life, but I also have a strong meditation practice -......Not sure where I'm going with that, I just wanted to say, I'm really looking forward to making a MA part of my awareness, and any advice as to how to approach things as a beginner, feel free to e-mail me or post to me - my email is aemilie21@hotmail.com. I'm especially interested to know how often you think a beginner with no background in a MA should practice, any advice, etc. And thanks for the humor page as well (I think I'm addicted to Aikido and my first lesson isn't till next week lol)

Steve Turner
12-31-2007, 08:49 PM
Hey Emily,

Welcome.... My name is Steve. I trained in Aikido for several years then got detoured. I am slowly returning to it and I am new to the Aikiweb.

It has been my humble experience that there are a lot of wonderful people in Aikido: good partners, teachers and people. Enjoy.

Steve

akiy
01-01-2008, 01:30 PM
Hi Emily,

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to AikiWeb. I hope your initial introduction to aikido goes well this year.

-- Jun

jacksharp73
01-13-2008, 04:43 AM
hi emily,
my name is jack and i can say from experience that you may get addictted to the workout and want to train everyday,thats great but at first i would go for maybe three and take one off and increase your workout accordingly there is nothing worse than a pulled muscle or pinched nerve! take it easy and then ramp it up as you learn

Randy Sexton
01-13-2008, 05:49 AM
Loved your introduction! Been in Aikido for about 10 months and love it.:D Coming from a background in Tae Kwon Do but I wanted a deeper meaning to my training besides tournaments and belts. My background also is in the religion/philosophy areas and now I do medicine.
Here goes my advice:
There are some great books out there so read regularly and check out the Dave Lowry books (especially his compiled articles put together in a book format). Check out You Tube and type in Aikido but ignore the crap about Aikido versus this or that which is a waste of your time. Trust me Aikido works. Also go at your own pace and enjoy the ride. I go twice a week and enjoy it and am advancing well. More than that I tend to get burnt out on the Martial Arts and don't allow the minor aches and pains to heal but less than that I lose the consistency of trainining regularly. My motto is Train hard! Train consistently! Have fun!
Doc::D