PDA

View Full Version : Stepping on the public stage

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Rick Berry
12-26-2007, 05:04 PM
Hi,

My name is Rick Berry and I teach Aikido in Wilmington, Delaware.

My dojo is small with about 50 or so regular students. My senior student who is a law professor and I both teach Aikido in separate PE courses at Swarthmore College just across the border in Swarthmore PA. We reversed positions, he teaches a regular class while I concentrate on a beginner's course.

I've been studying martial arts since 1965, starting in Seibukan Karate, switched to Ji Do Kwan in 66 and Aikido in 83. I published a book entitled "Stepping Off the Mat," in 2004 and I'm 68 years old.

My interest in martial arts training is spiritual in nature as I have not been in a physical confrontation in over 55 years. Therefore I've been working on how to apply martial arts principles in everyday life, hence my book, "Stepping" which was written at the request of several students. My primary point of view is we are human beings with the emphasis on the verb "being" and not so much the noun "human." And that is what I teach my students and what I wrote about. Self-mastery and self-improvement using the medium of self-defense.

I also have a keen interest in hand-carving bokkens from exotic woods which I have been working on for several years. This effort really helped mold my instructor's mantra into my being: minimum effort, maximum effectiveness...in living and dancing life. The last five words are mine, not my teacher's.

akiy
12-26-2007, 05:59 PM
Hi Rick,

Nice to have you here. Thank you for your introduction and welcome to AikiWeb.

-- Jun

Ron Tisdale
12-27-2007, 11:02 AM
Welcome Neighbor!

Ron T. here, I train in PA at the Doshinkan in Roxborough (when I can) and sometimes at Aikido Suimei in Fraser/Exton. Hope to see you on the mat sometime. If you are Kokikai you might know the first person who tried to teach me some aikido....Cecelia R.

Best,
Ron

James Davis
12-27-2007, 04:32 PM
Hiya, Rick.

When I saw your thread title, I thought at first that it read "Sleeping on the public stage"! Wishfull thinking, I suppose; It's been a rough day.

I also believe that budo can be a great avenue for self improvement. We'll still make plenty of mistakes, no matter how long we live, so we just have to remember to forgive ourselves and others.

Welcome aboard!