PDA

View Full Version : Hello from NorCal

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Sam Turnage
12-10-2007, 11:52 AM
I just wanted to say hi I just found this site and I will most likely find it to be very useful in the future.

I am a 33 year old Construction Superintendent I’m married and have been with my wife since I was 18 years old and I have to kids Autumn 9 and my boy Sayer 5, both are in Aikido. Autumn started at age 7 and is currently studying for her red belt test and Sayer just started a couple months ago.

I’ve always seen myself as a warrior or a protector type as long as I can remember when I was a little boy I didn’t want to be a Doctor, firefighter, or a police officer, no I wanted to be a solder in the US Special Forces. It wasn’t until I got much older, wise, and more into politicks, about 16-17 years of age that I revised that I was a warrior not a solder and that there was a big difference. I began talking Judo at the age of 7 and received my Green belt in no time. I also studied system 5 Karate off and on for a few years too. On top of this I was also a very competitive young man and I am the stereotypical “use to be has been” athlete. I was very serious and was lifting weights when most kids my age were still playing with GI Joe. Being one of the best/strongest athletes around I was often challenged and I never lost a signal scrap, my instinct, strength, and learned basic fighting skills always prevailed. But at the age of 16 I stated experiencing sever tendonitis in the knees with made training and college football impossible maybe the Special Forces too. With helped me to realize the fact there is always someone bigger and stronger and that for Self defense etc there has to be a better way then the typical mucho American Karate meet force with force etc.

The type or “way” that I was looking for is like the stuff I had seen in the Steven Seigal moves but I had no idea what that was. It wasn’t until a friend of mine an ex navy seal told me about Aikido and invited me to a class. Unfortunately for me the sensei was moving out of the area. Years later when new instructors came to town, I could not go, so now finally, I am training in the “The Way”

Regards

Sam

akiy
12-10-2007, 01:49 PM
Hi Sam,

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to AikiWeb. It's nice to hear that your kids are both in aikido, too.

-- Jun

Sam Turnage
12-10-2007, 02:05 PM
the fam and I are into what is called Overlanding and we have a 1994 FZJ80 Toyota LandCruiser. We like to explore and spend a lot of time out doors.

aikidoc
12-10-2007, 04:44 PM
I have a good friend that lives in the Grass Valley/Nevada City area: Dr. Kent Vernon and also Dr. Dave Hayes both chiropractors. I have visited your area and stayed a few days. Real nice in the mountains.

Sam Turnage
12-11-2007, 08:58 AM
oops... In my rush I did not edit or read my intro before I posted, I see there are several mistakes in there that can make reading it a little challanging. Sorry for that and now I don't seem to have a way of editing.

I am glad you liked the area, come visit any time.

bushido
12-29-2007, 10:14 AM
hi nice to meet you too