PDA

View Full Version : This sucks :(

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

shihonage
12-14-2001, 10:58 PM
My little 14-year-old sister has a habit of putting me in bear hugs, and assaulting me with variety of attacks, where the speed comes first and my safety is somewhere down on the list.

Due to her relatively small size and condensed build, she has very strong um, ki, for someone her age and complexion.

Anyway, today she put me in another one of her little bear hugs. Of course I can get out of them with not much of a fuss, but I put it as a lesson for me to learn to use no muscle.

Usually I resort to using muscle to get out, plus it takes considerable effort to stay balanced while she's actively trying to push me into the surrounding furniture/TV/bystanders.

5 minutes ago it happened. I was inside her tight little bear hug, and with her center being below mine, I was having a bit of trouble staying balanced for long.

Then I thought "Why am I resisting ?".

So I ... blended.

Usually turning around doesn't work, and she keeps hanging on like an annoying, persistent monkey, but this time I purposely blended exactly into the angle of her pushing effort.

I expected no difference. After all, its a rotational movement like I've done many times before.

The turn was effortless.
SHE FLEW PAST ME LIKE LIGHTNING AND HIT THE FLOOR WITHOUT EVEN HAVING TIME TO FULLY CUSHION THE FALL.

She hit the carpet with a side of her face, not catastrophically hard, but it hurt to the point that she almost cried.

It's nothing serious, nothing thats left even the slightest mark, but she was hurt :(

Oh, and Aikido works, dammit.
I'll never use a technique on her again, that's for sure. EVER.

Sincerely,
Moron.

Chris Li
12-14-2001, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by shihonage
I'll never use a technique on her again, that's for sure. EVER.

We were having lunch a number of years ago when a woman (whose name escapes me now) asked Mitsugi Saotome how come Aikido didn't work when her older brother held her down and tickled her. He said "Why don't you put your fingers through his eyes? Why don't you rip off his balls?" (actually, he didn't say exactly that, but he used graphic gestures :)).

Then he said "There are no rules in a fight".

If you attempt an application then I think that you have to accept the possibility that damage will occur - even if you don't mean to do so.

Of course, I've made similar mistakes myself (probably most martial artists have at one time or another). Luckily no permanent damage was done.

Best,

Chris

Duarh
12-17-2001, 01:10 AM
Ha.

Happened to me yesterday. Didn't even intend it, didn't even think about aikido, but accidentally kotegaishied my brother yesterday during a play-wrestle. :( And it was the easier, most beautiful kotegaishi I ever did. And it hurt :( will have to try to be more careful.

Toms

JJF
12-17-2001, 05:25 AM
Tried something similar some years ago. I was about 15 - had been doing karate for 9 months or so and my six years older brother did one of his buldozer attacks. Basically he just ran towards me and expected sort of a 'billard-effect' where he would be the cue-ball and I would bounce off him and get thrown across the lane. Usually worked but suddenly and without giving it much thought I instinctly slid to the side, lifted my leg in a near perfect circle-kick (round-house-kick ??) which went straight to his stomach. It wasen't very hard, but since he was going forward it took his breath away and he landed on the grass. No one was hurt but he never attempted that attack on me again.
Back then I thought it was pretty cool :)

Creature_of_the_id
12-17-2001, 06:03 AM
hahaha JJF, when I read your post I read it as your 6yr old brother, not your six years older brother. I had visions of this poor little 6yr old being 'round housed' by a 15 year old kid... nasty!

glad to be mistaken... and as a little brother myself, dont the older brothers always deserve it? ;)

JJF
12-17-2001, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by Creature_of_the_id
[B... and as a little brother myself, dont the older brothers always deserve it? ;) [/B] Speaking as an aikidoist: no one deserves to be punished... Speaking as just plain ol' me: INDEED they do!!! ;)

Edward
12-17-2001, 06:40 AM
Safety rule number 1: Never teach Aikido to your brothers, sisters, wives, girlfriends...etc. Otherwise the exact opposite will become true ;)

L. Camejo
12-17-2001, 09:33 AM
Hi Shihonage,

Sorry to hear about your little encounter. Though I'm sure your sister is also a bit wiser for it now. I've been in similar scenarios and felt the same way you felt, but I think the lesson can be valuable, making us focus more on controlling our techniques to suit and adapt to the different people we may come across.

I think it was Wally Jay (Small Circle JJ) who said "Pain makes believers of them all". I think that phrase is true for both parties involved in the encounter.

Growing pains, they come with the territory.

Gambatte :) We're only human.

L.C.:ai::ki:

mj
12-17-2001, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by L. Camejo

I think it was Wally Jay (Small Circle JJ) who said "Pain makes believers of them all". I think that phrase is true for both parties involved in the encounter.

Growing pains, they come with the territory.

Growing pains...
I like that.
I like it a lot ;)

Anne
12-18-2001, 02:17 AM
:D
Or, as Shishiya Sensei always says (e.g. when demonstrating nikkyo for several minutes; uke already on his knees and his face changing colors very fast...) "Ahhh, only little pain". After one week we had found out: "Little pain = big pain for short time"... :D

Anne