PDA

View Full Version : Practicing aikido with Injury

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

nemier
11-22-2007, 12:49 PM
I recently woke up at 3 am with no feeling in my right leg. I went to bed feeling absolutely fit and healthy. I have had this injury to my back, once before. I have twisted a muscle in my back, which I think is pinching a nerve. 3 days later, I'm walking OK with limited pain. I'm at least sure I'm going to be fine, but my question is when to come back to aikido practice? I can move OK, but do not want to further injure myself. Any advice?

Tijani1150
11-22-2007, 01:05 PM
I recently woke up at 3 am with no feeling in my right leg. I went to bed feeling absolutely fit and healthy. I have had this injury to my back, once before. I have twisted a muscle in my back, which I think is pinching a nerve. 3 days later, I'm walking OK with limited pain. I'm at least sure I'm going to be fine, but my question is when to come back to aikido practice? I can move OK, but do not want to further injure myself. Any advice?

I would search for a Chiropractor who uses the Kenisiology muscle testing method when diagnosing.

charyuop
11-22-2007, 02:01 PM
Only 1 answer: doctor!

aikidoc
11-22-2007, 03:11 PM
A numb leg could be due to a serious problem. If it is still numb you may need to seek further evaluation-possibly a MRI. It is possible you just slept wrong on it as well.

SeiserL
11-22-2007, 05:06 PM
...when to come back to aikido practice? I can move OK, but do not want to further injure myself. Any advice?
Gotta go where others have gone before, come back after you have had a complete evaluation and are cleared to. You mentioned some possibly serious symptoms. Be safe, not sorry.

crbateman
11-22-2007, 10:48 PM
Speaking as one who is currently sidelined with an injury, there are times when I desperately want to ignore the doc's advice, but I know he is right, so I listen. You should, too.

Mark Uttech
11-23-2007, 03:35 AM
Onegaishimasu. You can practice being aware of your limitations. Hard practice is definitely verboten. I usually adjust myself to an injury, not the other way around.

In gassho,
Mark

philipsmith
11-23-2007, 05:28 AM
As a physiotherapist I would say GO TO SEE A HEALTH PROFESSIONAL!! (yes I know its rude to shout).
A numb leg is a serious symptom which should not be ignored - particularly if it has happened before.

roadster
11-23-2007, 09:49 AM
I can say from personal experience. Get checked out 100%. You are not an MD. The web of injuries can be connected in some ways from past to present and an MD is experienced in seeing that. Plus you never know if you will unknowingly make it worse, or if it is a symptom of a larger problem.

Get yourself checked out. So you might have time on the beach. It's worth it rather than risking being out of the game permanently.

Janet Rosen
11-23-2007, 10:48 AM
The Lurking Nurse endorses all previous exhortations to GET IT LOOKED AT.

Joseph Madden
11-23-2007, 08:30 PM
It depends on the kind of injury. With regards to numbness of the leg, by all means see somebody. I've trained with minor injuries( dislocated
toes, fingers etc). Last week I left the dojo floor early during nidan training because of a toothache. A toothache?? An abscessed root canal has no place in the dojo!

nemier
11-25-2007, 02:05 PM
Thank you to all who responded with advice.
I'm pleased to inform you that I'm back on the mat, fighting fit.
The injury virtually disappeared as quickly as it came on.
The Robaxacet seemed to be the key, relaxing the muscle enough to release the nerve. Our health truely is a gift. I can not imagine a life with out practicing Aikido.