PDA

View Full Version : Re-dying a Hakama

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

John Bernhard
11-12-2007, 04:18 PM
So I was at a H. Ikeda Sensei seminar this past weekend in Birmingham, AL and while practicing, I noticed that just about everyones Hakama was very pristine, non faded, solidly colored, etc. Then I look down at mine, now in its 9th year of use, and its faded and old, no rips, frays or anything just fading and certainly looking like its been used. I don't want to get rid of it or buy a new one, but I've been pondering re-dying it. What do you all think? Should Hakamas always be nice and solidly colored or should I just leave it as it is with its character and all? Is there any sort of precedence for redying a Hakama? Have any of you done it to yours?

Thanks,
John

Erick Mead
11-12-2007, 05:08 PM
So I was at a H. Ikeda Sensei seminar this past weekend in Birmingham, AL and while practicing, I noticed that just about everyones Hakama was very pristine, non faded, solidly colored, etc. Then I look down at mine, now in its 9th year of use, and its faded and old, no rips, frays or anything just fading and certainly looking like its been used. I don't want to get rid of it or buy a new one, but I've been pondering re-dying it. What do you all think? Should Hakamas always be nice and solidly colored or should I just leave it as it is with its character and all? Is there any sort of precedence for redying a Hakama? Have any of you done it to yours? As my grandmother once said of her wrinkles -- they are not scars, but battle trophies in the war against death.

John Bernhard
11-12-2007, 05:23 PM
:D Thank you Erik, that gave me a small chuckle for today. :) I needed that :) So hows P'Cola, been a while since I've been down to your Dojo.

Erick Mead
11-12-2007, 06:59 PM
:D Thank you Erik, that gave me a small chuckle for today. :) I needed that :) So hows P'Cola, been a while since I've been down to your Dojo.Same as always. Always welcome -- even Auburn types, we keep a paddock out back.:p

Mike James
11-13-2007, 09:16 AM
Some people - myself included - own multiple hakama and have one (or more) they wear for daily training and a "pretty" one they wear for special events like seminars and demonstrations.

John Bernhard
11-13-2007, 09:58 AM
Ha...good idea mike....unfortunately being a poor graduate student, I'm lucky if I can pay tuition and not have to eat just Ramen and mac and cheese. :) For me it was either a dye job or a just keep it as it is. :) I just hope that my roots wouldn't' show if the dye job was done. ha ha....roots showing. Sorry cheesy I know. But that is a good idea none the less

John