PDA

View Full Version : Wearing a Hakama.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Jamie_Macc
11-06-2007, 12:21 PM
Hi guys,

Me and my Step-Brother wre recently given permission from our sensei to wear a hakama.

I was just wondering, if anyone could give any advice on how to tie one properly and if it affects your training at all.

Thanks a lot,

Jamie

Beard of Chuck Norris
11-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Haha! Might effect your training if your dojo is upstairs!

Plenty of youtube's on how to wear hakama. Enjoy!

Jamie_Macc
11-06-2007, 12:42 PM
ha, no luckily for me. OK will check them out.

Thanks

Eric Webber
11-06-2007, 12:52 PM
Asked my first Sensei how to tie my hakama properly. He looked at me, said, "so it doesn't fall down," and walked away. First of many lessons in frustration tolerance.

Jamie_Macc
11-06-2007, 12:56 PM
I think my sensei will say something a long those lines. I'll get ready for it.

Thanks

Dennis Hooker
11-06-2007, 01:44 PM
Think Velcro

Marc Abrams
11-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Bujin and several other sites had directions for putting on a hakama (last time I checked was a long time ago).

It definitely affects my training when I put it on too loosely! I step on it in the middle of a technique, fall down and laugh hard at my foolishness :D

Marc Abrams

Jamie_Macc
11-07-2007, 03:00 AM
Think Velcro

I like it.

Yeh i can see myself doing that, Tie it tight.

Thanks

Taliesin
11-07-2007, 03:54 AM
Hakama. - just remember whatever the official reason - the real reason for being required to wear it is to ensure humility, which it does by being incredibly easy to trip over.

xuzen
11-07-2007, 08:17 AM
Hi guys,

Me and my Step-Brother wre recently given permission from our sensei to wear a hakama.

I was just wondering, if anyone could give any advice on how to tie one properly and if it affects your training at all.

Thanks a lot,

Jamie

http://aikido.armchairsamurai.com/media/wp_thumb.jpg

Ain't no givin no advice on hakama tying. Ain't wearing one either pardner... gits in da way of a good DOJO BRAWL (TM).

Boon.

Pierre Kewcharoen
11-07-2007, 08:41 AM
Make sure you get the right size hakama. Too big and you will look like MC Hammer.

Shannon Frye
11-07-2007, 09:35 AM
Make sure you get the right size hakama. Too big and you will look like MC Hammer.

"STOP - Aiki time
OO O O OO O
Ya can't throw this.."
:D :D :D

tenshinaikidoka
11-08-2007, 10:57 AM
I think if you just tie it and it stays, that is good enough!!! I never could get the whole fancy knot thing down!!!

Bronson
11-08-2007, 04:44 PM
There are many ways to tie the blasted thing. I've been shown a few and finally settled on one I like (no knots in the back :) ). Play with it, watch others in your dojo, and ask your seniors.

Bronson

Toothpaste
11-08-2007, 05:25 PM
Just ask someone nearby how they tie it. :)

Alex Megann
11-09-2007, 07:59 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks a lot,

Jamie

Jamie,

Why don't you ask Allan Sensei how to tie it? My teacher gave me a hakama when I got 2nd Kyu, and the first thing he did was to tell me to put it on. The second thing was to show me how to put it on properly...

Alex

Jamie_Macc
11-09-2007, 12:53 PM
Thanks all,
some great advice.

Alex, I used to live in Southampton and go down there frequently to see my grandparents, next time i'm down would there be any classes i could take part in?

Jamie

Goye
11-09-2007, 01:02 PM
Think Velcro

Only if i had listen this advice 6 years ago,... :( :confused:

Christopher Gee
11-10-2007, 09:55 AM
Its important to tie is 'properly' (depending on your shool/tradition) just dont make it up as you go along.

If you cant wear it right just dont wear it at all. That being said, I think its interesting with new approach to hakama. They have never been a symbol of prowess or ability. Yet they are attributed to the blackbelt (again a modern creation).... interesting.

Dan Richards
11-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Hakama. - just remember whatever the official reason - the real reason for being required to wear it is to ensure humility, which it does by being incredibly easy to trip over.
Really? I started wearing a hakama in 1992, and I've never once tripped on it. And I wear it pretty close to the ground.

James Kelly
11-12-2007, 01:14 AM
Think Velcro
Someone in my dojo rigged up his belt and hakama with velcro. It was very cool and took him about a second to get in and out of. A senior student gave him a hard time for it and the guy said, "do you think that if the Samurai had had velcro, they wouldn't have used it?" The senior student said, "good point" and that was that. My friend still wears the velcro version to this day.

Avery Jenkins
11-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Someone in my dojo rigged up his belt and hakama with velcro. It was very cool and took him about a second to get in and out of. A senior student gave him a hard time for it and the guy said, "do you think that if the Samurai had had velcro, they wouldn't have used it?" The senior student said, "good point" and that was that. My friend still wears the velcro version to this day.

Reminds me of one of my post-grad professors in acupuncture. When he taught us the use of laser acupuncture, he said, "if they had had these things in the Han dynasty, nobody would have bothered with needles."

Alex Megann
11-14-2007, 08:55 AM
Thanks all,
some great advice.

Alex, I used to live in Southampton and go down there frequently to see my grandparents, next time i'm down would there be any classes i could take part in?

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

You would be welcome at any of our classes. Check here (http:///www.soton.ac.uk/~aikido/) for class details. Note that the Sunday classes don't happen every week. Let us know if you are planning to come, and we will look out for you.

Alex