PDA

View Full Version : Aikido in Myrtle Beach

Please visit our sponsor:

Dan Richards
10-14-2007, 11:28 PM
Ahoy!

I'm sure I was on Aikiweb years ago, but don't remember a username. So, here I am again. New username, and a new club.

It is with some reluctance, but also some excitement, that I'm opening a new aikido school. I've been in and out of the Myrtle Beach, SC area for several years. My growing family's finally settled in here and we've put down some roots.

I began training in 1988 at NY Aikikai. I've also had the good fortune of training Nishio Aikido for many years in Denmark.

There is no Aikido at all around here. I basically have had two choices - well three: stop training altogether, start training another martial art, continue to train aikido. I'm going with the latter. And if I'm going to do that, there's no other choice than to start a school. And being that there are so few Nishio Aikido dojos in the US, I am honored and humbled by the task ahead.

Wish me luck. I'm gonna need it! : )

I'm not only wanting to build a school of new students, but also to hopefully pull experienced aikidoka out of the woodwork who might be in living in the Myrtle Beach area but not know of an aikido dojo.

If there are any aikidoka here who ever come to the Grand Strand, please contact us at Strand Aikido!

http://www.strandaikido.com

phitruong
10-15-2007, 06:41 AM
sounded like a good idea. I went to Myrtle Beach for vacation a few times each year. If you don't mind, I would like to stop by and practice next time. Of course if you happen to be in Charlotte, you can stop by as well. We don't discriminate aikido. :)

JEbuck
10-15-2007, 10:34 AM
That's great! I am from the Conway area and have been wanting aikido here for some time. I took up soo bahk do instead and have been taking it for 8 years. I have the rank of cho (1st) dan and will be eligible to test for 2nd dan in the spring. Where will your dojo be located at in the Myrtle Beach area. Are you affiliated with an organization? Thanks for bringing aikido here.

akiy
10-15-2007, 10:50 AM
Hi Dan,

Welcome to AikiWeb.

-- Jun

Lan Powers
10-15-2007, 01:27 PM
A few yers go a friend of mine mentioned that he had done some training in daito-ryu in Myrtle Beach....Don't know if theose guys are still around tho, or even who it was.
Not very helpful, buteven the hint of a cold trail of interested folks is always better than nobody around interested.
Best of luck
Lan

Dan Richards
10-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Thanks, folks! Had our first class this morning.

Phi, you're invited any time. My wife's parents live in Charlotte, so we're up that way occasionally. Will make sure to visit.

Julio, we've started classes in Pawleys Island. Schedule at
http://www.strandaikido.com/classes.htm

We'll be adding more classes as the club grows. We're considering some places in the Myrtle Beach area. Mostly likely will be near 544, 501 and 17 bypass.

If you can swing it, please come to PI for a visit or occasional class until we get things rolling in MB. Members will be training at both locations.

When we gets our ducks in a row we'll be applying to Aikikai Foundation in Japan through official channels for Nishio Aikido in the US.