PDA

View Full Version : Why Would You Not Want Your Aikido To Be As Martial As O'Sensei's?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

dps
10-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Why would you not want your Aikido to be as martial as O'Sensei's?

SeiserL
10-04-2007, 03:14 PM
Who said I didn't or it isn't?
Has someone been spying again?

gdandscompserv
10-04-2007, 03:38 PM
is this a trick question?

Fred Little
10-04-2007, 03:42 PM

Nanjing

Manchuko

FL

Roman Kremianski
10-04-2007, 04:14 PM
Because I'm not really into the military.

wideawakedreamer
10-04-2007, 08:44 PM

Huh?:confused:

xuzen
10-04-2007, 11:59 PM

Because I am living in a society ruled by laws and civility. Martial(ness) may get me on the wrong side of the law.

Boon.

happysod
10-05-2007, 02:29 AM
Boon wins the rainbow monkey (and luckily Lynn hasn't found the webcam). Also confused on how you measure the martial bit - China's a bit too organised to become a decent old-fashioned bandit in these days but UK residents could always try Skegness.

mazhar dardari
10-05-2007, 03:16 AM

Did you mean why we not to do aikido Which Osensei teaching?

dps
10-05-2007, 05:32 AM
From http://www.meriam-webster.com/dictionary/martial:

martial: of, relating to, or suited for war or a warrior

David

Peter Goldsbury
10-05-2007, 05:59 AM
I think the original question is unclear.

Morihei Ueshiba was Japanese and lived in the late Meiji / early Showa eras. So he trained in a number of Japanese bujutsu. However, even at that time traditional Japanese martial arts had long ceased to be martial, in the sense of being immediately applicable to the battlefield conditions obtaining in the Sengoku jidai and earlier.

Ueshiba has constantly been credited with creating a new budo, that redraws the boundaries of tradtional bujutsu / budo. However, since his descriptions draw on Omoto concepts, it is difficult to state clearly to what extent his new budo actually modified the 'martial' quality of the waza of DRAJJ.

So the question might suggest that we go back to the original conditions of the early Kobukan, which were clearly rougher than they are now, but still far removed from the Sengoku jidai.

Is this what you mean? Or are you suggesting something else?

Best wishes,

Ketsan
10-05-2007, 07:34 AM
I think the question contained the statement that Ueshiba was practicing a martial art i.e something that would "work" in "real" life physical confrontations and was asking why certain Aikidoka have seemingly purposfully created and practice a form of Aikido which does not "work" in "real" life physical confrontations.

dps
10-05-2007, 07:48 AM
O'Sensei's search for "true Budo"( personal, ethical, spiritual development of the individual) was through the fighting (martial) arts of his times. he developed a set of instructions (Aikido) to achieve true budo .

If you practice Aikido for self defense, personal development or spiritual development ; why would you not want your Aikido to be as martial as O'Sensei's? Or as martial as you can get it.

David

Martin Ruedas
10-05-2007, 08:14 AM
Who said I didn't or it isn't?
Has someone been spying again?

Hehe. Who would not want it?

Ketsan
10-05-2007, 08:45 AM
If you practice Aikido for self defense, personal development or spiritual development ; why would you not want your Aikido to be as martial as O'Sensei's? Or as martial as you can get it.

David

*shrugs*

Don_Modesto
10-05-2007, 10:57 AM
Nanjing

Manchuko

FL:)

CNYMike
10-06-2007, 04:35 PM

As has been pointed out in another thread, O Sensei didn't lay down the law on a lot of things. Every cadre of students has been different from him and different from each other, and the cadres are probalby all slightly different from each other. So it's kind of hard to say whether you want your Aikido like O Sensei's when he didn't want your Aikido to be exactly like his. Kind of thing that makes your brain hurt.