PDA

View Full Version : Mat's for college judo/bjj club

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

DonMagee
09-20-2007, 01:23 PM
I am looking to get an informal judo/bjj club going here on campus. I have the people with the desire, but now we need the mats.

They will probably need to be taken up after every class, so I'm thinking folding mats. I'm currently looking at two options.

http://mancinomats.com/martialarts/series200.htm
and
http://dollamur.com/martial_arts.htm (2 inch variety)

Do you think 2 inches is too thick for standup work?

Also do you think there is a cheaper option?

Any other recommendations? I think we want to start by covering a 18x18 area, or a 24x24 area.

jennifer paige smith
09-20-2007, 04:05 PM
I like folding Swain mats. I'm sorry to report that they are a little pricey, but your knees might thank you later. Zebramats may have a slightly lower rate if you can get post seminar mats at a reduced rate. If you belong to the Judo association they have an even better price.

Best of Luck to you and your club.
jen smith

JAMJTX
09-20-2007, 10:46 PM
I like the Dollamur roll up mats. They are very portable. Mine just arrived and we used it for the first time in class today.
I came back to offer a review in the other MATS thread here.

But - do you have to buy mats? Or can you get use of the wrestling room (if your school has one).

DonMagee
09-21-2007, 05:32 AM
We have to buy mats, our school canceled it's wrestling program about 10 or 15 years ago. The old wrestling mats are so nasty even after two cleanings they still stink, and the surface of the mats is torn and just not safe.

Thanks for all the input. I just want to make sure I get the best bang for my buck.

gregstec
09-21-2007, 12:33 PM
Hi Don,

We recently purchased some 2" Dollamur mats from Swain for our small club and use them on concrete - they are firm and I am really pleased with them so far - they roll up nicely and are easy to move around because of their light weight.

Greg

DonMagee
09-21-2007, 01:27 PM
Do you need to tape them together, I mean we will have to pick these up every night. If we just roll them out and line them up, do you think they will more all around?

That is my only concern, the mats will be on a hard wood floor (basketball/racketball type flooring). I was thinking mats that hooked together with velcro or something of that sort might be a better fit.

gregstec
09-21-2007, 01:50 PM
Do you need to tape them together, I mean we will have to pick these up every night. If we just roll them out and line them up, do you think they will more all around?

They should be taped - Swain will send a roll of clear heavy vinyl tape that is easy to put on and holds well.

Greg

DonMagee
09-21-2007, 02:23 PM
Yea, that kinda rules them out for us, taping every class would be a chore. They are really cool though, and I am probably going to get them for my basement at my house.

Steven
09-21-2007, 03:43 PM
I am looking to get an informal judo/bjj club going here on campus. I have the people with the desire, but now we need the mats.

They will probably need to be taken up after every class, so I'm thinking folding mats. I'm currently looking at two options.

http://mancinomats.com/martialarts/series200.htm
and

Do you think 2 inches is too thick for standup work?

Also do you think there is a cheaper option?

Any other recommendations? I think we want to start by covering a 18x18 area, or a 24x24 area.

We use the Series 400 Mancino mats exclusively.

Aristeia
09-21-2007, 03:44 PM
2 nights a week we do mats down mats up. we use jigsaws - work well, once people get the hang of it they lay them pretty quick and they obviously hang together very well

heathererandolph
09-21-2007, 06:49 PM
We use just plain foam (it comes in big rolls) inherited from another dojo. We keep the mats together with some tent weights which are bags filled with sand and put the foam against a wall with the sand bags on the other side. They mostly stay together but sometimes come apart at then ends. I think the flexibility of the folding mats is something you might want to consider. You can just use less of them for a smaller area. I think the foam feels the best, it is a very forgiving surface. We do have a cloth that goes over the foam, also. I looked and looked for mats myself. They use the carpet bonded foam at cheerleading meets, and they sometimes sell it at a discount after the meets. Velcro is used to attatch the mats. There are few cheerleading competitions where I live, but you can look on-line or call the supplier to see if there is one coming up near you. At one point I even e-mailed every martial arts studio in my area looking for used mats. We did get some from a dojo, but they were pretty raggedy. Free, though!

mriehle
09-26-2007, 01:32 PM

Okay, I can't speak for the other mats, but the Flexi-Roll system is hard to beat, IMO.

I used the Flexi-roll tumbling mats for almost three years before I was able to install a permanent mat. I used them on concrete and then on a dance floor which was sprung. They were better, IMO, on the concrete, but only because they were a little "squishy" on the sprung floor. Some of that was a function of the floor itself. Some of it was that we used 2" foam and probably only needed 1".

What I did was buy two 49' rolls and cut them in half, giving me four 24' rolls (yes, I know the math doesn't work out, I trimmed them down because the original space dimensions). This gave me a square mat, about 24'x24'. Not huge, but worked okay.

The mats do need taping, but at least on the tumbling mats the tape was a strip of velcro that stuck to the carpeted surface. Taping took about five minutes when I did it entirely myself and was being picky. Since it was velcro, the tape was reused, not disposable. I don't know how this is handled for the martial arts, tatami style mats. But, FWIW, the only reason the mats needed taping was to keep them from drifting apart. The seams weren't a problem as long as the mats stay together.

All in all, it took about ten or fifteen minutes to set up with two people doing the work, less when there were more people who knew what to do. Five minutes to pick up the mats and put them away at the end of the night.

My biggest complaint was that it was too often entirely up to me to do the setup. :(

I sold my old mats to my dad's judo club and their only complaint is that the carpeted surface is a problem for groundwork. My dad says he thinks the solution is to get a vinyl or canvas cover made that would fit tightly over the mats when they are down. That would, I think, eliminate the need for tape as well.

Bronson
09-26-2007, 02:00 PM
You should get THIS (http://www.butternutjelly.com/home/amazing-shock-absorbing-gel.html) stuff :D

Bronson

MikeE
09-26-2007, 02:01 PM
I have zebra mats on my main training space, and a smaller 800 sq ft mat area covered by the Dollamur roll out mats. The vinyl tape they send with the mats doesn't hold well if you have to roll them up often (the smaller mat area has an aerobics floor under it, so the mats have to be rolled up often). But, I contacted the company and they make a heavy duty vinyl tape that matches the tatami surface. It has worked great for about 2 months now.

DonMagee
09-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Well, it looks like I get the best of both worlds, first I'm going to have to buy a small amount of mats to get started, but the college is looking to add a new room onto the activity center for things like martial arts, yoga, etc. Being that I am in a position to supply a lot of info to the board, I can control the type of surface we put in this room. So I can get some cheap folding mats now, then good mats for the new room on the colleges dime :-)

mriehle
09-26-2007, 03:07 PM
Well, Don, then....

WOOHOO!!!!!!